Closing a circle

 

I have five chapters left of my next book to read through, then I'll make sure there are no extra spaces at the end of paragraphs. Then I will upload the final version of Gracious Mysteries, which is available as a pre-order from various online retailers. It will be released on the tenth of October, the second novel in my current series That Which Can Be Remembered.

I just spent several minutes gathering notes that I cleared off my desk in yesterday's computer swap. Arranging some decorative rocks near my monitor, I wanted to put away scraps related to this collection of stories. If I really wanted to get some cleaning done, I could try to do the same on my sewing table, ahem. But pieces of paper with ideas scribbled in longhand were much easier to sort, stuffing them in a folder, then putting that in a desk drawer. Fabric scraps require more attention; depending on their size and weight on my heart, they would go here or there or way over there. Much simpler to place plot details where I don't need them anymore.

Well, I don't require them for Book #2; the third novel in the series still needs some revisional love, and I'll get to that sometime next month, after the tenth. But between now and then, publication prep is high on my list of To Do's, as well as sewing up a mess of Halloween coasters. I finished machine quilting four of them this afternoon, then sat outside to enjoy the warm afternoon sun while I trimmed all the strings. I'm definitely torn when the weather is so pleasant, much to sew or edit but with few clouds in the sky, a light breeze blowing, I had to taste the first day of autumn personally. It felt like anything but, a gorgeous weekend forecast as well. Still, there are many mug rugs to make into little quilt sandwiches, a plethora of squares arranged on the design wall, waiting for me to sew them into a quilt top. My hands feel especially full, and I'm grateful for that, wishing and hoping that very little falls through the cracks as I attend to these pleasant indoor tasks while soaking up as much sunshine as possible.

And then there's my book.... In these edits I'm flitting from chapter to chapter, thoroughly thrilled with how this story evolves. Writing a series is an interesting ride; one part is DONE, another almost out of my hands, while the conclusion is.... It's about all ready in the 'There is very little left to tweak before the final edits begin' sort of way. I'll probably release it around Christmastime, but won't do a pre-order for it, wanting to keep it as a free book. I don't write for monetary gain, but for the sheer need and contentment. I don't really have a choice in the matter, the writing that is, so I don't charge unnecessarily.

But in stepping out of my comfort zone with a pre-order, I had to put a price on Gracious Mysteries, and while I won't do it again, it was good to try something new, if nothing else to know I won't do it again, lol. Kind of like how I won't back a quilt again with a microfiber sheet. I've done that now twice, and it's just a pain in the backside to machine quilt. The coasters pictured above are backed with random autumnally coloured cotton prints from my stash; I prefer cool hues, so it was great to grab these warmer fabrics and hopefully I'll use up much of them. I might not get all the coasters done before the end of October, but they'll be basted, waiting for their moment in the sun.

Similarly to how my novel is patiently anticipating its release, if novels were capable of independent thought. I'm eager to release it, and here's a little snippet from one of the chapters I read today. With that, I bid you all a lovely evening and a peaceful weekend!

 

 

Finn remained on the grass, unbothered by the wetness. She might need a few weeks of solitude to compensate for being cramped in a small cabin, not to mention the drive south. Perhaps learning to ride a horse would proffer some necessary freedom, or merely time to reflect upon all that had altered. She sipped her coffee, gazing at the front gate. By lunchtime this life of isolation would be a memory.

The rain subsided, then Yimial Lin made his farewell. Finn bade him a good day and he smiled at her, then headed to the sentry shed. Suddenly Finn wondered if anyone else would join them. Timral was busy, but what about…. Finn squinted, then sighed, smoke swirling from the forge. Perhaps that was for the best, she mused, then she walked to where the adults continued to chat on the porches. “So when do we leave?” she asked.

“Now that’s a good question,” Mo laughed. “Mirella, you’re the senior hand. What’s the timeline?”

Mirella snorted. “You Molarn would have made a good politician. Ask those younger than me.”

“Pree’s nap is our guide,” Ava said. “But feel free to leave without us.”

“We should go together,” Polly said slowly.

“We should, but if Pree sleeps a good while….” Seti cleared his throat. “We don’t wanna hinder anyone.”

“We’ve come together this far, we’ll let Praa Pree dictate the schedule.” Brynn stretched, then yawned. “Maybe I’ll catch a nap this afternoon.”

“Storm keep you up?” Mo asked.

Brynn nodded. “But I wasn’t the only one awake.”

Finn stared at her mother, then gazed at Mo. He nodded, but said nothing.

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in a lull

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels