Writing is a gift and I am truly grateful for it

Reminding myself what I do, and how appreciative I am for the ability and time to do it; an excerpt from The Enran Chronicles Book 3, my current revision WIP.


Inside Squee’s ship, Sooz explained the Enran had permitted a small number of pods to encase what could called only a life force and not an Enran’s distinctiveness; it was those pods that people like Squee used to extend their lives. “Although,” Sooz smirked, “I think the last time Squee was revitalized it was with an Enran wholly compatible with Squee’s nature.”

Noth carefully drummed his fingers along the console, not wishing to accidentally activate the vessel. “So the Enran aren’t bothered with that, but they won’t protect the most vulnerable people.”

“It’s complicated, but we’ve lived with the Enran for so long that….”

“Are you like Squee?”

“No,” Sooz growled. “I am not like Squee.”

“When did Amora die?” Noth spoke softly, not having planned to mention Sooz’s daughter. Yet he couldn’t help wonder if there had been some way Sooz might have saved her child, even if it meant turning Amora into a slightly different individual.

“She’s been gone….” Sooz paused, then clasped her hands in her lap. “Maybe eight or ten of your years. Maybe that long,” she added in a whisper.

Noth sighed, then nodded. “So what did Squee use to call my ship?”

Sooz wiped her eyes, then cleared her throat. “The Genie.”

“What did you say?”

The Genie. Squee described it to me once, the name I mean. It means….”

“A magical person, someone who can….”

“I know what magic is, thank you very much.”

“No, I didn’t mean it that way.” Noth thought of Jeannie and Caroline, then he frowned, so much about this quadrant they hadn’t explained. His opinion of the Enran was at a low ebb, but perhaps the women had worried if he knew the truth, he wouldn’t have cooperated.

“A genie is considered a spirit with powers that defy logic,” Sooz said softly, then she snorted. “Squee used to run some pretty daring raids, not surprised that’s what it was called.”

“He said a Human named it, a woman he worked with at the time.”

“Huh, well, maybe. Squee lies a lot, in case you weren’t aware.”

“Squee knows enough about what’s happening now.”

“That Squee does, blast it.” Sooz cracked her knuckles. “But we’ll need Squee if we’re actually going to try to….”

Sooz released a stilted sob, then composed herself. “I need to get back to work. As I said before, Chelak can’t be moved for several weeks. That gives us time to….”

“What happens if we move her now? Any Tyrah aware of her wouldn’t expect that I assume.”

“Chelak can’t be untethered from the stasis regulator. Chelak wouldn’t survive at this point.”

Noth sighed. “And there’s nothing you can do to speed up this process?”

“No.”

“I see.” Noth was silent, then he smiled. “But you said she wants to leave, she knew I was there earlier, right?”

“Yes, but what does that have to do with….”

“What if I start visiting Chelak? You’ve been her only resource to the outside world as she is right now. Does she have any memories of who she used to be?”

“No, that element no longer exists.”

“Okay, well what if I start hanging out and tell her about Earth. Just small talk, you know. Maybe that would accelerate the process.”

Sooz frowned, then smirked. “Maybe. I’ve never tried that.”

“Not even with Melor?” Noth asked.

Sooz shook her head, then she sighed. “While Melor was regenerating, I was sick. A former colleague who I trusted kept tabs on Melor. When I returned to work, I did notice Melor seemed to have progressed a little further than I would have thought. Maybe it would work, but….”

“But what?”

“You have to promise your visits would be brief. And that you won’t touch Chelak.”

“I won’t, I swear!”

“You say that now,” Sooz huffed, “but every single individual in stasis yearns for physical contact. Even those in the general assembly. I don’t know how people in charge over there stay sane, avoiding contact.”

“How do you?”

Sooz sighed. “The first person I integrated suffered from my lack of discretion. It wasn’t a Tyrah, but what they turned into….”

Noth nodded. “I won’t touch Chelak, I swear to God.”

Sooz stared at Noth. “God, huh. Gonna need a lot of your deity’s gumption is all I can say.”

Noth almost asked what the Parcathn blessing meant. Then he swallowed hard. “Who was your assistant when Melor was….”

“Hosta, the person who died right when you arrived. Hosta must have told Melor about what it was like being free.”

Noth gripped Sooz’s hand. “Well then, we’ll keep Hosta’s truths intact and get Chelak the fuck off this planet.”

Sooz shrugged, then nodded. Then she began to cry.

Popular posts from this blog

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Fits, starts, and restarts

Following one's heart