A quilt by many names
![]() |
| The wind stirred as I began snapping pictures. This is the last one, haha. |
Butt-ugly was its moniker, lol, until earlier this week.
Sticking to the design wall like an unwanted, an unwished for, an undesired....something. That's what this formerly bad idea was until I trimmed the lower edges into something resembling uniformity. Then suddenly I liked it.
Suddenly it wasn't egads-awful. It was magical, crazy-quilt magical! It was love that a mother has for a previously unruly child that proffers one heartfelt apology and all the aged hysterics and backslides are forgotten.
Ahem.
After I trimmed it, I took a picture, then captioned it the Whatnot Quilt. But I think Crazy-Magical Quilt better sums up how I see it. Because I've been staring at it in the photo below for nearly two months every time I do my stretches where the design wall lives, where this bunch of rows that have little in common has been sticking out its tongue with impunity at me. An experiment in sewing rows of squares of the same size together, then slapping them on the wall as if somehow batting will alter their fabric DNA, make them more palatable, less opposing. Turn them from cantankerous prints into lovey-dovies. And for me, yeah, somehow, some miraculous way, it worked.
![]() |
| From 24 June, making me twitch, why it sat there so long.... |
Just trim them to basically equal lengths, stitch them together, pray, and voila! Here's not a crappy quilt back but a top that I'll show off for eight months of the year. Then I'll turn it over and display the back from September-December, as I'm going to sew together a bunch of beloved autumnal prints as soon as I get the rest cut into squares. Then baste this baby ala Kawandi and Bob's your uncle and here's one more quilt that I didn't think I needed.
Or certainly wanted, AHEM.
Yet at times we are presented with things, situations (Like my current fictional originally a short story WIP now standing at well over sixty-five THOUSAND words, facepalm!), moments that seemed UNFATHOMABLE in their purpose. No WHY large enough to explain why. No hint, clue, freakin' notion to their usage. Until the magic happens. The reason emerges, the gift of their creation hits home like the hardest hammer on your smallest toe.
![]() |
| The first of like eighteen pics, but this one RAWKS that stained glass look, so it's posted. |
Because yes, sometimes it hurts like, well, hell. But the pain lasts for nanoseconds as the beauty blinds, then you blink, and then, well, not hell but heaven. There's heaven for me in this dang quilt, bless its weird and wonderful heart. As well as a lesson that the dark slips away, leaving behind miracles.
Miracle Crazy Quilt. That's it's name. Have a wonderful rest of your day!


