One more chapter

Probably. But you never know....

Because novels/very long short stories end as they are wont, both in the form as well as the content. The Deadfern Miracles concluded in a three-chapter marathon over the course of one day, DUDE! I didn't even know I could pull something like that outta my hat. However, this basically untitled tale is taking a more languid course, and equally I am JUST FINE with it.

Because, um, the end of this story with no proper name has a slightly, no, definitely darker conclusion. Or the penultimate chapter is chaotic. The one before that one is also on the less stellar side of human reactions. Sometimes those sorts of stories emerge, because life isn't all roses and donuts.

Having just read over the entire chapter, all twenty-six hundred-plus words, I'm pleased with the results, if not a little heartsick for the plotline, which I knew was coming from early on. Well, once I grasped this wasn't a short story, then.... Then the eventual end was going to be fraught with peril. Or the penultimate chapter anyway. More drama than usual. Dark drama, though tinged with Thank You God. But sometimes in thanking God, we have to acknowledge a huge gulf behind us, one from which we emerge cold, dripping with mud, steeped in mosquito bites, or worse.

And after many of those, then we reach the point where we thank God prior to entering such a pit. But that takes a long dang time to achieve, maybe why this book kept going. And going. And going. The story wasn't at all short because I've been stepping toward the pit fully aware the only way past it is by going through it. And now having done that, well, I'm okay. Mostly.

My heartspace is....Slightly aching from dealing, even fictionally, with peril. Yet bolstered by knowledge that the Warm Hearted quilt reached its destination this morning and is greatly appreciated! And that a few straight days of EPP hand-sewing hasn't angered my right shoulder, so maybe I can sew again this evening on a medallion quilt I didn't even realize was a medallion quilt! Mini-medallions, I smile, thinking of a comment made by a lovely soul on my Bluesky account, noting this miracle.

It's a miracle I can hand-sew without pain. A miracle that life for the Lunds is altered, but okay. That's all the spoiler I'll mention, still dripping with muck and mosquito bites. But thankful. Appreciative. Grateful to have written it, as well as eager to end it.

Tomorrow. Hopefully. In the meantime, have a nice Friday. 

Popular posts from this blog

Straight to the Heart

The Rescue of Owl Chicken Part Two

Blogging or Bluesky