End blocks and revisions
In working on the Lavender quilt, end blocks need to be constructed on the fly, so to speak. The one above, with its corresponding block, was actually fun to make because Past Me had cut in half triangles and half hexagons, so all Present Me needed to do was to choose appropriate fabrics, baste those shapes, then sew them together.
The low volume decisions were easier than the vibrant prints for the triangles. Why did I save those scraps, I now consider, but I don't ponder it deeply, mostly because much of my life is currently about trust. Learning to trust even more thoroughly than I ever have previously, not due to poor health or other erroneous situations, but merely that trusting in God is what God wants from me, ahem.
Like prepping a manuscript that might be queried. I say might because I'm still reading it, but in a manner not previously done, other than for agents. I set aside the first fifty pages double-spaced, read through it, and made a few changes to the original document. Then I realized what a cool way to revise the entire story, heh heh heh, and today I made a third double-spaced document for such endeavors.
I don't write double-spaced. I write single-spaced, not sure why other than I always have and maybe always will. Unless my eyesight gets truly bad, perhaps. Regardless, I'm revising The Deadfern Miracles in this manner and if I query it, well, then I do.
As for those end blocks, they have to be constructed no matter what. Basting small half-triangles is a little dicey, but so far, so good. My right shoulder is also a little dicey, lol, but I'll stitch as best I can and, well, let God take care of the rest. Again trust emerges, or situations in which I'm being asked to let go and let God. This time last year I had given up hand-sewing, my shoulder just couldn't hack it. Now I'm working on three different English paper-pieced projects, WHOA! That's pretty, well, unbelievable when juxtaposed to what I could NOT do twelve months ago. Life is about trusting and timing and being grateful, what I've found in my early sixties. And I'm sticking to that story.
![]() |
| A lovely woven fabric was used for this half-triangle, fabric I didn't possess when initially basting all these pieces years ago. Fabric that was for yesterday, stitching for maybe later today. |
Like I'm deeply enamored of Deadfern; funny how a novel, or life occurrence, can sneak up, embracing with all engines, like Lavender quilt, like owning chickens, LOL. Oh my goodness, Gigi gave us a scare a few evenings ago, sitting limply on the grass, her comb a pale red and looking dried on the ends. Her tail was droopy and she put up NO FUSS when my husband collected her, taking her to the coop, placing her on the shelf but not in the laying corner. We truly thought we'd wake to a loss of a hen, but after a good night's sleep she was perkier and back to her usual self that afternoon. Why is life like that, so changeable I mean. Sometimes it feels so unchangeable, then WHAM, your chicken is sick! You're editing a novel in a new way! You're doing X, Y, and Z instead of E, F, and G. I have no answer other than....
Trust. Which might sound as flaky as all get-out, but there it is. Trust in a goodness and love beyond the stars. Love that merely asks for trust, seriously? Yup. Huh. Indeed.
That's where I am today. Trusting in love. And wishing you a wonderful middle of the week!

