Anger through the eyes of a child

Cars that topped the list with my granddaughters this past weekend when Hot Wheels tracks came out.

My chapter today was mostly through the POV of a five-year-old. The idea of writing an unpleasant meeting between a few characters came to me last night, not that the child is insulted, but those beloved by the little girl are injured. Having read over said chapter, I'm glad I wrote it through a youngster's view, a little easier on my heart as well as including those often overlooked when emotions turn bitter.

I've been told that my novels are character-driven, and that I have a deft touch with all ages in a cast. I take a little pride in that, because children aren't merely bystanders; they hear, see, think, and feel. Their reactions are often more honest than adults, although they can also remain silent, not wanting to absorb the wreckage left by the storm. A shouting match would have been too easy to write; better is the youthful observation of irregular reactions by those familiar, and the wish to disappear as if to make the upset also fade away.

How this plays out remains uncertain, in that a definite schism has erupted between the little girl's father and the woman he loves. I won't use the little girl as a conciliatory factor, but I have an idea how to smooth the raging waters. This is a love story, a happily ever after required. If that's a spoiler, so be it. How the little girl develops remains to be seen....

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart