When a quilt is not like a book

So great to have this completed!
 

As of last night, the Grandmother's Flower Garden English paper pieced quilt is DONE! Washed on tap cold and dried on medium heat, I am pleased at how well the minky backing weathered, not to mention the rest of it. That backing, while adorable, was a bit of headache in how easily the nap is ruffled, but I imagine that element will be a fun distraction while my granddaughter fiddles with it when she goes to bed.


The weight of it is not too heavy, another relief; I worried that between all the extra fabric each hexie possesses combined with my usual brand of cotton batting, a minky back would be cumbersome for a youngster to wrangle. Of course it will be put to the test in a few weeks, but hopefully she will find it cozy and comfortable and what more can a quilting grandma desire?

Yet these two paragraphs, while necessary to frame this achievement, don't answer the question of today's title, which I pondered this morning amid stacks of dishes washed because my stove was littered with pots and pans. A quilt is not like a book when said book is planned as more than a rough draft. I've written LOADS of first drafts that won't see the light of day. But a novel that carries enough heft to pass those initial rounds requires further investment. And a finished quilt just needs a whole lotta corporeal love.

What I mean by the ruffly nap, but it smooths down easily.

Which this blanket will definitely earn, even before I give it to my granddaughter. This abuela will be trying it out nightly, hehehe, making sure that minky backing is truly warm. But after I give it to her, odds aren't high I'll see it more than peeks when I put her to bed when I visit her. A beloved fictional draft remains in my possession until I deem it ready for publication, then like that quilt I send it off to whomever requires hope and entertainment, joy and cuddles via prose. Yet these manners of crafting peace are otherwise similar, or that's how I see them. And what an honor, thrill, and yes at times headache to create these expressions. That minky, oi! It's dang cute but dude, I probably won't use it again anytime soon. Yet by trying something new I learned valuable lessons, which still occurs in the writing. I made the second novel in my current series a pre-order, why it's not a freebie like the rest of my books. I probably won't do that again, but I wouldn't have known that unless I gave a different method a go.

I added the cats near the end of the hexie basting; so many fun prints for a grandgirl to explore!

English paper piecing is certainly an alternate manner in which to make a quilt, but boy I sure love how intricately these quilts come together, how involved were both of my granddaughters in its making, and now I have evening time to finish up another EPP marvel, lol. And while I sew that next one, perhaps I'll ponder a novel-to-be, or just how good it is to have these gifts set into my hands. Passing them along, being from fabric or fiction, is a blessing itself. Gotta keep the pipeline open for further treats to emerge....

Popular posts from this blog

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Fits, starts, and restarts

Following one's heart