Earthquake recovery

Records and box sets spilled out, blocking the door to a closet.

An unexpected beginning to our day yesterday; at 2.34 am a 6.4 quake roughly stirred us from bed. In all my years dwelling in California, I have never experienced such turbulence, and boy howdy, this one packed a punch. Several striking memories remain, reaching for my bedside phone, but finding it had been tossed to the floor along with a small bookcase. Putting on shoes as a 4.6 aftershock rumbled through. Locating my computer tower on the floor next to my desk (spoiler alert; once power was restored at 8 pm, both my machine and my husband's were just fine!). A large bookshelf was toppled, vinyl albums flung from shelves in the living room, a few dishes scattered on the floor. Several framed photos had fallen, but only two sported cracked glass, one from which I was able to extricate the picture. No structural damage to our knowledge, and we had hot running water and a generator going all day. For all that could have occurred, our home weathered the quake well. My peace of mind, however, is far from repaired.

I slept on the sofa last night, crashing before eight pm after such an early start. The power was still off, we used battery candles for illumination. I took one to gather bedding, our room on the second floor, and I was not all at ready to sleep there, not to mention it required a run with the hoover, which my husband accomplished after power was restored. Maybe it's good that our couch is only adequate for one night's rest; I'd probably crash here for subsequent evenings, not quite ready to be upstairs in the dark. My sense of safety was compromised mostly by a late afternoon aftershock, a 4.4 hit that occurred as I gathered scattered possessions from our floor. I went outside after that, collecting another wheelbarrow of firewood. Breathing deeply, I had to acknowledge that despite how well our home weathered the quake, my inner peace was still reeling. And it's tenuous this morning too; I could hear my husband stirring as I brought the morning brews into the living room, but no way could I take the stairs to see him. I'm a fairly down to earth person, but right now this earth is a little too wobbly for my liking.

Yet that shaken faith lies alongside all that wasn't harmed; a tall plant stand remained erect, kitchen cabinets remained closed, two pantry shelves standing their ground. The arbitrary damage is intriguing, not to mention how my computer is still running, ahem. A vase underneath a fallen bookcase sustained no breaks, and all that I recently adhered to surfaces with earthquake putty didn't budge. I'm going to invest in a LOT of that, lol, but for now treasured photos have been boxed away. I may slap an entire package of putty underneath my PC tower; perhaps earthquake preparedness goes beyond extra water and flashlights. Will these steps enhance my sense of well-being, I certainly hope so!

But for how long will my unease last is unknown. It's ohmah polise, definitely a gracious mystery. Our beloved fighting cancer is out of ICU, very good news. And it's a new day, close to Christmas, much to celebrate. And contemplate. We're safe, the house is stable, and recovery takes as long as necessary. Ohmah polise all over the place. 

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart