Reassessing the purpose

Displayed on the old laundry line makes for a visual quilty treat!

So I have finished what might be the last Honeycomb Stars Quilt I ever make. Never say never (and more about that very soon!), but boy getting through the end of this was.... Not quite a slog, certainly contemplative, and ultimately not that enjoyable. Not due to any fault of the pattern's creator; Rachel Hauser's delightful and informative write-up was clear, concise and if one is inclined to quilting beyond a beginner's level very do-able. Yet I am not the most precise cutter, nor am I super-fussy about scant quarter-inch and full quarter-inch seams. In matching the dog ears when attaching rows together, often I encountered the smallest but meaningful excess fabric and after the first three or four rows I grew tired of adjusting the ears just so. As I completed the final rows yesterday afternoon, I had to admit that while this pattern produces a beautiful result, I am not the quilter best suited to using it.

Accepting one's limitations, be they in sewing, writing, gardening or any other pastime, is an essential aspect of fully enjoying said hobby. I'm facing that realization as I prep for NANOWRIMO; recently I spent an evening writing (in longhand) timelines for the next WIP. I thought such detailed notes were necessary, but man after an hour I was OVER IT, thinking to myself, 'How much plotting do I truly require for this novel?'. I haven't worked on it since, needing space from the plotting and for myself to cool down, not quite like a time out, but definitely a redirect. Felt the same about the garden too, although I did get most of the dahlias cut back, leaving a few stalks still bearing flowers. While we've received no rain, it's nearly November, time for the garden to be DONE. In spring I had big plans to plant winter veg, hah! I need a break from that otherwise pleasant pastime, just like I need to put away one quilt pattern and maybe not worry about novel timelines.

Past Me would scoff at such nonsense, but Past Me isn't Present Me's age, ahem. Present Me is far more attuned to what matters, as well as being aware that Future Me is relying on Present Me to not spoil what hopefully will be beloved hobbies for years to come. After my first few years of quilting I grew bored with patchwork, branching out to improv, but I've returned to simple squares, not all the same size mind you, as my preferred manner of making quilts. If I'm in the mood for something fancy, I pull out paper pieces and voila! English paper piecing is great for spectacular, if not speedy, results. And as for noveling....

I need to remind myself, constantly it seems, that writing is best done when the subject matter touches my heart as much as piquing my intellect. That plotting is often helpful, but not always required. That spontaneity, while sometimes abrupt, enlightens a story beyond my initial expectations. So yeah, a timeline can be helpful, but I shouldn't strangle the soul of the story (or myself) just so the dates align. Rough drafts are just that and should be started under the guise of, 'Here we go, woo hoo!'. This isn't my first rodeo in writing, I know my routine. Some books ache for microscopic backstories. What I'm hoping to write isn't one of them.

So with all that, I'm very grateful to have completed another Honeycomb Stars quilt; while this one is a little darker than I had planned, the somewhat ombre effect is pretty, and all those autumnal-themed fabrics make me want to start a fall quilt for Present and Future Me, lol. I have it prepped to baste, but then I've begun hand-quilting the Mandolin quilt, so as usual I have plenty on my plate. But the pace and complexities of these projects is constantly being tweaked according to my level of energy. That is the key to joyful creativity. Future Me will appreciate Present Me's self-awareness and Past Me can just sulk in the corner. I'll never be any younger than I am right now, honey. Check yourself before you wreck yourself, as my youngest likes to say.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart