Prepared for contingencies

A nearly finished Myrtle block; a dark blue perimeter remains all that is left to attach.

Another large storm is hitting the West Coast today; our rainfall in Humboldt County will be measurable, but more worrisome are the wind gusts, perhaps as high as seventy miles per hour. Sustained winds could range in the thirty-forty MPH range and we are under a wind and flood watch until tomorrow morning. We've already lost power briefly this morning, but I had shut down my computer before that occurred, am currently writing this from an aged laptop that still gets the job done. Not any writing mind you, that solely happens on my PC. But I can compose this entry and poke around the internet until we lose power and our modem ceases to function.

Yet that's a mere hindrance to life; my husband filled our petrol can last night so we can run our generator if necessary. We have water stockpiled, plus I filled extra containers this morning. Black and fruit tea await in travel mugs and our pantry is pretty well supplied with immediate vittles. We own a gas stove for cooking and lots of battery-operated candles. We also have regular candles, but what with aftershocks still prevalent I am hesitant to light them. And as this storm originates from the south it's not cold out, so a fire later will warm us enough. Moving from Silicon Valley to the North Coast for retirement has proved quite the adventure, and we're grateful to be as prepped as we are.

Speaking with my beloved yesterday, I inadvertently coined the phrase an attitude of gratitude; immediately I smiled, noting that would become my mantra for 2023, and hopefully the mainstay for the rest of my life. After Sunday's 5.4 quake, Rio Dell was again hit badly, another forty-plus homes yellow and red-tagged due to the damage. More inspectors are heading there to assess all that has befallen the small community, as well as Fortuna, just north of Rio Dell. What we experienced on Sunday during that aftershock, while not enjoyable, posed no harm to our home. Our nerves are certainly rattled, why we have extra petrol and water at the ready for this atmospheric river. I need to say that years ago warm winter storms were termed a pineapple express, as they came eastward from Hawaii. But atmospheric river sounds more menacing, probably what the media prefers. I will also note that winds gusts reaching past fifty MPH are due such a moniker, and if we maintain power all day I will be GREATLY SURPRISED! Pleasantly shocked, let me add, but astonished nonetheless.

Wanting to maintain as much routine as possible, I worked on my WIP early this morning, the wind occasionally howling in the darkness. Two chapters of The Earthen Chronicles were managed, then I saved it onto the flash drive that dwells in my upper left desk drawer, shutting down my machine for the day. I have also secured that tower with quake putty to my desk, wishing to take as few chances as possible. All these notions are ones previously unconsidered, even for living in the San Francisco Bay Area for over a dozen years. Here in Humboldt County, life is quite different.

I plan to spend much of the day working on various EPP projects; regardless of what the wind does, I have a sofa where the light is good and plenty to stitch. I also want to further ponder thankfulness, praying for those whose homes have been deemed uninhabitable. As rain now pelts our windows, I have a dry, comfortable place in which to live, we still have power. If I grow tired of sewing, I can always pick up pen and paper, making notes for my WIP or write to those I love. The glass needs to remain at least half full, but not completely filled, so there is room for blessings to overflow. An attitude of gratitude; may you know that grace today.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart