Cornflower quilting around

 

Edging the perimeter is a slow process, but very rewarding in the overall sense of almost being done!

Literally less than a week ago I mentally decided if I didn't get my Cornflower quilt done until late summer, I'd be happy. As long as I had it in time for autumn, woo hoo.

One more of the edging process because the fabrics are so pretty, lol.

Two days ago I finished the hand-quilting. I hadn't planned on it, but late in the afternoon I sat down to stitch and whoop there it ended. I hauled it upstairs, because it required perimeter stitching, a binding made, then attached, but wow, suddenly one great big task was over. Meanwhile I had started machine quilting a new comforter for my husband, and assumed the Cornflower quilt would wait patiently for its turn at the machine.

Perimeter sewing DONE!

Yesterday slipped away with no machine sewing whatsoever. I've been reading the last book in the Alvin's Farm series and spent most of my free time with that, sincerely enjoying the story and the memories of when I wrote it. It was like reliving my noveling past and who I was then, all within one tale.

I used seven strips for the binding, all from this particular print in four colourways from Tilda Bloomsville.

Fast forward to this afternoon, post-lunch. Suddenly I had all the necessary Cornflower quilt impetus necessary; first I ran the perimeter of the quilt under my machine, firmly securing the hand-stitched edge. Then I removed the walking foot, put on the regular presser foot, then sewed together the binding, ironing it smooth. Only then did I trim the quilt's excess backing and batting, then pinned on the binding, seating myself back at my machine. Within an hour the binding was on, and suddenly a project I thought would languish all summer was ready to go back downstairs so I could hand-stitch the binding to the back of the quilt; WHOA!

Trimming the excess; I do this with scissors very slowly.

I took several pictures of all of that as it happened. Somehow documenting that process seemed vital, maybe due to my tripping down memory lane via a novel, or that this hand-sewn quilt deserved pictorial documentation. Or that I had my phone handy and why not snap snap snap? 

A binding before being pressed.

Because now that quilt sits in a heap beside me, one quarter of the binding DONE. If I feel inclined after I post this entry, I'll thread some needles and stitch a little more.

Attaching the binding; oh my goodness I like this Tilda print!

Making a quilt is meaningful to me, about as snazzy as finishing a novel. Completing a HAND SEWN English paper-pieced quilt is like wrapping up a series, in the publishing of the last installment sort of way. My husband asked if he should congratulate me, and I told him to wait until the binding was done. Then he can pat my shoulder and give me a hug. Well, he can hug me whenever, but don't mention the quilt until that binding is on all four sides.

After sewing the binding onto the front of the quilt, I press the binding flat so it's easier to fold to the back. Plus I find any loose strings that sneak out in the process.

Yet I needed to write this mostly because I truly didn't imagine this project's end happening this week. Or this month. And here it is, almost. This beautiful quilt that has been a couple of years in the making is nearly done.

One mitered corner looking so tidy!

Yay!

Popular posts from this blog

Good to be home

Always good to be home

Earthquake recovery