Grateful to publish as I wish

An artistic forest amid the marketing trees; photo taken on Saturday at a nearby Redwood grove.

Lately it's come to my attention how differently I approach what I write compared to other authors. I've been reading material provided by Draft2Digital, the company who distributes my novels, learning a lot about marketing strategies. The takeaway seems to be write for a narrow audience, then distribute widely. Kind of a contradiction in my opinion, but authors who follow that advice and turn a profit permit my small meandering manners of crafting from my heart, then publishing what makes me happy.

I have to admit I was bothered by the recommended ethos, not only that it seems fraught with contrasting logic, but what of the creative spirit? I follow the marvelous suggestion National Novel Writing Month founder Chris Baty proffered, to craft a novel only I could write. That advice has been the backbone of my authorial life, and I've traversed some unexpected themes and genres. I've never set out to write this or that kind of book; more I am guided by the characters as well as the yearnings of my soul. Yeah, sometimes a message sneaks in, a few of them on occasion. But such is my way of writing, and that I can publish my books for free, or a nominal fee in the case of pre-orders, is quite extraordinary. No complaints there.

Yet I'm still troubled by D2D's limited marketing scope; it's not very inclusive, which in our current climate feels somewhat dangerous, further separating people. Or maybe I take the notion of independent publishing way too literally. Perhaps genres will always rule how readers choose their next novel, the squeakiest wheel getting the most grease. Again I need to remember how precious is what I do and how cool is it to release novels outside traditional methods. And to be mindful that most important is being true to myself in the words written and stories created. If the day ever comes that Draft2Digital no longer permits freebies, I'll be thankful for all the books I did get to release, and move forward in another direction. For now I'll keep writing as I have been since 2006, penning novels straight from my heart and soul.

Popular posts from this blog

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart

Fits, starts, and restarts