Sunny starts

Today's beautiful view.
 

The last two mornings have been full of bright, clear skies, a wonderful change to our recent grey horizons. Shocking to see how far south the sunrise has moved along the treeline; mid October is here in force, but I appreciate the seasons. And with NANOWRIMO just a couple of weeks away my writing mojo is emerging, or I think it is. Character sketches are coming together in a rambly sort of manner, although a timeline of familial events will probably be necessary. But it feels good to spin those kinds of details, dramatic elements as necessary as the blue sky greeting me today.

Years ago autumn used to mean big-time writing prep, as well as anticipating precipitation. Rain might indeed arrive this weekend, but I'm waiting a fortnight before diving into a new story. It's celebratory in nature, both the rain and the words, continued growth for me as a novelist as well as heralding what is so badly needed here in California. I recall plenty of soggy Halloweens from my youth, but now those memories seem vaguely unreal, or perhaps I'm uncertain due to climatic change.

But what remains steadfast is how eager I am for November, for writing a new story, for the infusion of literary thrill. It's a little silly, in that writing has become for me not easy but certainly a solid accomplishment, like acknowledging a bright morning, which previously was so routine; now I gape at the sunrise as though it's brand new. The commonplace becomes extraordinary, not to be taken for granted. Writing novels is marvelous, good to be reminded of that gift. And in just two weeks, I'll be ankle deep in fictional melodrama, hooray!

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart