Past and present

The Pacific at Trinidad, California, November 2021.

Taking a day off from noveling; it's my beloved's birthday, hehehe. A year ago today we went to Trinidad Head, just wandering around the beach. I'd been busy writing That Which Can Be Remembered, sewing Honeycomb Stars quilts for my grandsons. Funny how twelve months later it could be said not much has changed. Yet a lot goes on behind the scenes, as in any life, what I choose to set here, what remains tucked away. Memories, tragedies, small sorrows; all intermingle despite where they fall in the timeline.

I used the Moonlight collection by Wishwell for this Honeycomb Stars quilt; November 2021.

Yet it's so easy to scroll through a photo app, bringing up this day last year, two years past, three, four.... What ages ago took pulling down photo albums or flipping through boxes of snapshots is no more than asking one's device for shots from this or that day. I can peruse my published novels by merely tapping on a books app, tapping again.... In the writing from yesterday, I conjured the demise of a device, not quite how I'd planned that to occur when plotting out this story, but as I've said, characters act of their own accord once the writing begins. And sometimes in real life, that kind of spontaneity happens, at times in joy, occasionally draped in angst. Life is precarious, real and fiction.

A little morning mist from 11 November 2021.

In celebrating my husband's birthday today, I've stepped away from my usual activities, other than some crocheting, which I've picked up needing some cowls for autumn's recent arrival. Two inches of rain in the last few days makes it truly feel like the seasons have altered, nice to have cozies to wear. Tomorrow I'll be back to the story, back to cutting fabric for a quilt, back to a routine that needs some shaking up in a mild manner. I don't need to dwell on what occurred years in the past, just stay in this moment. And be mindful of the grace that swirls all around me. And that's what I know for today.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart