In a little groove

Crocuses in bloom; spring is truly on its way!

I'm not going to claim it's a big groove or a deep groove or a lasting groove. But today I started the prequel to the book I just finished, not that it will be called a prequel, merely Book 1. Yet right now that's how it feels, perhaps if I continue in this wee groove, I'll think of it as the start to a series. Yikes! Not another series....

LAWL! Now that's a funny thought because when I wrote the previous novel, I was firmly of the belief it was its own little thing. Maybe I can't write small. Maybe I can only gut out sagas and the like. Well, okay. Because I'm feeling good about.... Writing. Feeling like yeah, this's me. I am a writer in the middle of all else. And I haven't felt that way in a long damn time.

Maybe one of the reasons I'm feeling creative is I'm eschewing publication considerations. I mean, yeah, it's in the back of my head, but the last chapter of the previous novel was a total tear down the fourth wall fiasco, haha! Which meant at the time of writing: I AM NOT THINKING ABOUT RELEASING THIS IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM AS IS, ahem. It was more of: Dear God, let me tack on some kind of conclusion to this because I'm 66K into it and I really don't want it to not have an end, Amen. And so I tacked on an end, even added The end for good measure. Then I pondered it for about thirty-six hours, and then....

I had to let my imagination wander; I possessed these characters, and some crazy plot-twisty notions despite fourth wall emergency escape hatches. Then after I wrote a middling first chapter this morning, I talked-out a scene between two main characters, Tia and Bobby; she tells him something in jest, except she's also telling him a vital truth that in the book I just finished he had blabbed to Marcus. And whoop there was a whole bunch of novelistic thrill coursing through my veins!

So now I'm itching to write, which is half the writing battle, wanting to write because I've got one hell of an idea in the works. The grandsons are coming tomorrow and staying for the week; we'll see how I manage to eek out some prose in the early mornings. I will certainly write tomorrow morning, and then.... Oh my goodness, it feels SO GOOD to want to write! To have a story aching to be told. To feel excited about a creative outlet that has been my go-to pastime for sixteen years. To, to.... Wish to express myself in a wholly personal manner that could be (not saying what will happen to this) shared with others. I might release it. But first I get to write it! Ha! I'm writing again.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart