Land and sea

Just past the large boulders is where the sand drops off about ten feet to the shore.

We bought some plants today, then went to the beach, hence the title. Cloud cover should lift tomorrow and we'll put the various flowers, fruit, and veg into the ground then. I've been considering starting some pumpkins from seed, but hesitated because last year's were such a bust. Finding nicely sprouted plants at the store pushed me over the edge and I'm toppling into minor gardening with my fingers crossed.

In addition to squash, I chose a cantaloupe plant and a dozen petunias split into two six-packs. And a coleus for our planter that dwells in the shade, into which I'll put one yellow and one pinkish-purple petunia merely because that leaves ten, which is plenty to scatter where the deer and other critters won't eat them. My husband chose a watermelon plant, he LOVES watermelon. No idea how the fruit will do with our mild temps, but experimentation is good. And the petunias should grow well, at least those I put in full sun, lol.

Safely transported home in the trunk of our car, now waiting for tomorrow's planting fest!

Because we chose nothing needing immediate refrigeration, we then headed to our fave little beach spot, and to our shock the erosion has truly made for a cliff about twenty feet from the car park. Fortunately about thirty or forty feet along the shore the sand hasn't been wrenched away, so we wandered that direction, then headed toward the waves, low tide providing plenty of sand on which to trod. I collected some shells; the beach is littered with them. We marveled at the amount of sand that had been washed away, nature's power truly remarkable, then watched as others joined us, one golden retriever racing toward the ocean, romping in the receding water, then shaking itself thoroughly.

I'd planned on sewing this afternoon, our outing a spur-of-the-moment decision. As we drove home, I considered the flora and seashells, and how being rooted in such a place provides a plethora of experiences. Maybe the garden will do well this year, although my hubby's green beans are having a hard time compared to last year's abundant crop. Perhaps the next time we go to the ocean the shore will have recovered some, or parking there will be an exercise in trusting our car won't fall off a cliff. Faith is required for the garden too; if nothing else, I'm giving pumpkins a second chance. Or maybe they're giving me another go. Either way, by land and sea I'm enjoying the outdoors. The writing and sewing will wait for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart