Something old, something new....

Pretty prints!

Nothing borrowed but definitely plenty of blue; so goes a quilt back, which I often don't mention except in making one. Yet as I pressed open the seams of this particular quilt back, I considered the phrase something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue, although none of the above fabrics were borrowed. Yet I could say I robbed Peter to pay Paul, in that the two small lower left prints are remnants of what my eldest granddaughter chose for a possible quilt ages ago, back when she was three and I took her shopping on my fabric escapades. She was an enabler if ever I met one, gushing at how pretty was this print, how nice was that fabric, how perfect was that bolt Grandma, LOL! She suggested a quilt for one of her friends and I happily acquiesced in collating a wide assortment of spring-themed fabrics that after time were used for other purposes. And on this quilt back, the last bits fill out a corner, with a tad leftover that I'll use in a future Cornflower quilt block, once I finish those already waiting to be stitched together.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul can be set alongside keeping the left hand ignorant of what the right hand accomplishes; who knew five or so years ago, when I was innocently introducing my granddaughter to the wonderful world of fabric, how rudely interrupted those outings would be with Covid. Or that the quilt she was planning wouldn't occur, or how one of her beloved uncles wouldn't be here to enjoy a post-pandemic life with us. This was the theme I was aiming at on my previous entry, but it's definitely best tackled no later than now, an after-lunch kind of post where I've had a coffee, snapped pics of the quilt back, but have yet to lay down a layer of batting, then affixing the top. Kind of a middle of the day thing, smack in the middle of something old, something new, nothing borrowed, most certainly blue. The old fabric is the dark pink floral and butterfly print, perhaps purchased at my granddaughter's behest. Or maybe I bought it on a separate store run, but I chose a couple yards, needing a hefty dose of that gorgeous cotton in my stash.

Something new are the two large cuts that border the dark pink; I picked those up a few weeks ago on a shopping trip with my daughters. Chosen specifically to use as quilt backs, I placed them at the top and bottom so I'd get to keep a smidgen of them for scrap usage, maybe in a Cornflower block perhaps, hehehe.

Nothing borrowed.... Nothing borrowed.... Hmmmm.... Yeah, hard to borrow fabric for sewing, unless you give it back in a new guise to the one who loaned it out.

As for the blue.... Blue is my favourite color in all variety of shades. These blues fill out the left side nicely, and I'll align the top to start at that side so I can save even more of the newer fabrics for scrap.

The left side isn't aware how the right will be underutilized, it merely does its job and will be pretty when the quilt is flipped over. that's all a quilt back is really for, just to keep the batting fibres from sticking to everything, ha ha. Sometimes a quilt back is a fussy bunch of cuts, but I keep mine to as simple as I can get away with, preferring the front to receive all the glory. And sometimes that is what life is about; one hand flashes a wedding ring while the other remains unadorned. Yet the hands know nothing differently. I'm right-handed, but I bet my right hand has no idea it's my preference, nor does the left grasp the gold band on one of its fingers symbolizing all the great years I've had with my better half. Sometimes knowledge is power, but often ignorance is indeed bliss.

There's more to say about this concerning the writing, but I'll get to that in a subsequent post. Time now to make a quilt sandwich!

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart