Action adventure writing (quilt) block

Past Me's grand design accomplishment, hehehe.

I'm a stay inside kinda gal. I like to write and sew and maybe tinker in the garden, but all my life I've preferred indoor recreation. Maybe that was due to growing up in the hot Sacramento Valley, perhaps honed when we lived in England. It's certainly perfect for dwelling in Humboldt County, where the marine layer has encased our neck of the literal and figurative woods for much of this summer. I am FINE WITH THAT, lol. Pastimes that make me happiest usually occur in my office or living room or where paper shapes won't blow away in the breeze.

Equally, I am most comfortable writing familial saga and relationship hoo haa. While I don't mind placing my characters in different worlds or outer space, fierce battles and adventurous treks aren't part of the drama, until now. My next story will be an introduction to some epic goings-on, leading up to some probable grand escapades worthy of far greater storytellers than myself. But sometimes stepping from one's comfort zone is necessary. And if I'm going to pull off this series, inserting a few outdoor exploits is a must.

Fortunately those novels are for Future Me to consider, ha ha. She's tapping her foot, furrowing her brow, arms crossed over her chest as if to say, "Don't make such a big deal of this. It's just arguments accentuated by weapons and threats and...."

I'm not keen on weapons and threats, I proffer, to which she uncrosses her arms, clasping her hands together. She shrugs, then sighs: "Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs."

Yeah, yeah, I know. I can't sew fabric together without cutting the prints into various shapes. Maybe I can assuage my slight anxiety in that manner; writing adventure scenes is like using my rotary cutter, at times chopping cottons into small pieces. HAH! If only it was that easy.

Or maybe it is, I guess I'll find out. There will be a few quest-like moments in the next installment, perhaps that's the best way to consider it. My protagonist is definitely on an expedition and it's not simple, although it will be based indoors, in a different galaxy. Sometimes living along the North Coast of California feels like having moved to another universe, mist-bearing clouds obscuring what would otherwise be warm-ish summer temperatures. Even on the nicest days I don't wear shorts, preferring capri pants until the sun goes behind the treeline, then I'm back in leggings. This is our second full summer here and I know what to expect. Maybe as this series progresses, the adventurous elements will feel less unsettling, I might even find myself drawn to action scenes! That would indeed be a surprise, but then I never imagined making quilts or being fully immersed in English paper piecing.

Part of a hobby's allure is how it evolves. I choose to write and sew for the basic pleasures, but being stretched beyond my initial expectations has lead to a deeper joy and personal investigation. I still avoid sewing triangles, maybe someday I'll get that brave. I have set myself up for a shite-load of courage with this story, perhaps that will pave the way for flying geese. If nothing else, I'm good at stitching basted shapes and conjuring melodrama. Now to incorporate a few intergalactic grudges and some cool futuristic gadgets into the mix. Don't forget the poignancy and pathos, Past Me hollers, still smirking from her previous triumphs. And the love story, Future Me beckons, gripping several completed manuscripts to her chest.

Yeah, yeah, I reply. Those tales, a few out of my wheelhouse, spur me to drop the hesitations and forge ahead.

Popular posts from this blog

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Fits, starts, and restarts

Following one's heart