I'm not so good with spaceships

Nine of seventeen rows completed, but my fictional series has a long way to go.

My husband likes to say he's not so good with colours. Which is a little funny, what with me and fabrics. But while I thrive in writing about relationships, spaceships are another animal. Or beast, or whatever. I'm not so good at hard tech or action adventure or that kind of thing. Yet I'm three chapters into the new draft and LOVING IT!

I realized yesterday, or maybe Sunday, that despite bringing a character over from the previous installment, said character has undergone some...changes, ahem. And despite introducing two new characters, I know them well because they originated from a single chapter of a tale deeply pondered but not completed. It will be the book after this one, so while this novel fills in their backstories, they have been in my heart a long time.

Huh, fascinating! And then there are the spaceships. LOL. Spaceships, really? Really really! Well, o-kay.... Yeah, that's what I'm yammering about, because a novel about the future set in a different universe means sci-fi, but I take a very low-key approach to the nitty-gritty, instead focusing on how people communicate when languages are far apart and how the protagonist deals with being SO FAR FROM HOME, ahem #2. And how a newbie (but an oldie and goodie) grows not on me, but on the protagonist, the reader, and well, me too, in that I know her quite well but as one who has a surprise in her past (and a big shock in her future).

Well that's a vague mouthful! I can't reveal too much because of SPOILERS, but I need to clear my head of all this fictional hoo haa. It's great to be so enthralled in the writing, even if I'm a little leery of spaceships. But even on spaceships people discuss their hopes, their failures, and maybe even share some good jokes. Science fiction is the imagined future technological advances and/or major social and environmental changes (thanks Google). Many genres fall under sci-fi, and what I write is my own variety; steeped in an emotional element that binds people from all places and backgrounds. And their ships too, certainly.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart