Not glamorous but necessary

 

Much more of this to come!

Last night I began sewing together rows of my Cornflower Quilt. Compared to how long I've been stitching the beautiful blocks, this part will be a faster finish, albeit laborious. Wrangling rows is a little tricky, but having taken out as many of the papers as was possible makes it less cumbersome. And as each row is added, the marvelous sense of completion rises, proffering me the essential impetus to JUST KEEP SEWING.

Sometimes that kick in the butt is crucial, pushing one past the tallest hurdle or most mind-numbing element within a project. I haven't done anything writing related for a couple of days, trying to catch up on sewing. I spent my usual book time this morning basting a quilt that I've made on request, which is always a thrill, like getting a five-star review on a novel. I'm hoping to jump back into the writing next week, perhaps starting off with some revisions, then we'll see where that leads. In chatting with a fellow author recently, I received some much needed support to continue writing in my own eclectic style. Only I can tell the stories that are within my heart.

Intricate blocks are fabulous to create, as are intriguing characters and vital plot twists. Yet both require anchors to showcase them to their full beauty. I have some keen ideas for my novel series, but those plans aren't worth much if they linger in my head. Likewise, all the fabric in my sewing room is lovely to admire, but better when put into some sort of quilt, be it machine or English paper-pieced. I'm still undecided what to do with my current book series, but dealing with an agent feels less important that it did a few days ago. Occasionally I am terrible for vacillating, may I just admit here. But I'm also aware that nothing is happening tomorrow with the first installment, or on Friday, or next week even. Maybe I'll write all the books, then begin to release them, which is not a bad idea, as I fill in small gaps as the story progresses, getting a better handle on what this whole saga is about.

Kind of like how I thought I was missing five squares for my quilt, until I realized that no, I didn't need squares along the bottom, only triangles. I still feel ridiculous for that error, but no matter. Whatever I decide about writing or sewing, the results might not be flashy, but will be suited for me. And sometimes they delight others too.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart