Cornflower Quilt

My beautiful Cornflower quilt is DONE. This quilt was sewn by hand, except for attaching the front of the binding. I also machine-stitched the perimeter's edge. The rest was an English paper-pieced effort from my fave designer Jodi Godfrey.

Initially I made these blocks while stitching the Seedlings Sampler quilt in late 2019-early 2020. After that project was completed, I made a few extra blocks, but didn't plan on making a full Cornflower version until perhaps 2021. Then blocks were fashioned as I worked on other projects until it became obvious how much I loved making this particular design.

I enjoyed it so much that I enlarged the quilt, adding an additional row. I haven't measured it, but it's definitely a rectangle, and plenty long to snuggle under lying down.

Strangely enough, less than ten days ago I thought completing this wouldn't occur until perhaps summer's end. I wasn't in a rush per se, although I was tired of it taking so much space on the sofa. I wanted it done before autumn, which was a perfectly acceptable timetable. Then I found myself working on it instead of stitching other things. And suddenly a few nights ago the last hand-quilting stitches were woven through the quilt sandwich.

The binding is always last, whether I've made it previously or whip it up once all the quilting is over. I had to make this quilt's binding, but the strips were waiting. The end came as suddenly as how the hand-quilting emerged, as though after so many months this wasn't actually a long-term project. Since this photos were taken, I have washed it, lain under it, and admired it fully. Forty-two blocks later, it's finished.

As an aside; when I ordered it, I requested that instead of the small pieces which make up the adjoining four-inch squares could whole four-inch squares be substituted. When I received the kit, Jodi noted that swaps within kits weren't possible, but for free she threw in enough four-inch squares, bless her heart! Thanks Jodi for the design; it's one I'm hoping to make again someday.

Popular posts from this blog

Good to be home

Always good to be home

Earthquake recovery