More sewing joy

 

My eldest called it the sunflower quilt, maybe that name will stick.

I meant to write about this quilt top yesterday, but those HSTs muscled their way to the top of my brain. Yet, this quilt-in-the-making needs some blog love.

I started it ages ago, slapping it on the design wall back in April, whoa! That was before summer started, before I got Covid, before, well, before. Sometimes before is recent and sometimes it's ages ago. Right now it feels like far longer than April, maybe for all that's happened in the last four months, not only Covid but twenty-nine times two and a Red Sky at Night, and oh yeah, those half-square triangles which I am ACHING to return to, but first I need to finish this post. Because completing that little quilt top, quite bright and a wee bit busy, has been the catalyst for me returning to sewing.

Not that I haven't been stitching; loads of hand-sewing has occurred, including hand-quilting placemats that I assumed I would run under my machine's presser foot. Instead I'm tackling one every other night, three left to go. But my machine had remained under cover even after I felt better, as well as after the grandsons left. It was considering Red Sky at Night (RSAN) that made me remove the cover, dust off the machine, but first I HAD TO FINISH this bright quilt, what I'm currently calling my Covid quilt, mostly because I don't have a better name for it. It languished because I had Covid, but it's now alight with shimmery goodness, having had its moment in the laundry-line sun.

Now, it's not DONE. Still needs a backing, binding, basting, then.... Not sure if I'll machine or hand quilt it. Once the RSAN papers arrive, I'll be up to my armpits in choosing fabrics, basting papers, stitching various quilt blocks. The Covid quilt might live on the design wall, along with emerging machine-pieced sampler blocks. Yet, the rows of the Covid quilt no longer hang over my drying rack or take up space in my heart. They are attached, if not part of a quilt sandwich, which truly gives me peace of mind.

Shoo Fly block, which I had to include because the HSTs would kick my backside if they didn't receive more attention, lol!

Peace of mind.... How precious is that? Pretty damned important and necessary and meaningful. Peace of mind is one reason I sew and write, allowing myself these moments of creative spark that end up as novels and comforters. The books are quiet, but the quilts are flashy, especially this one, made with some of my current favourite fabrics. I can't even remember why I made it, although I could cheat and read the corresponding post, but there are half-square triangles screaming in the background for my attention. So despite writing yesterday, here's another entry. I love blogging too, lol, but there are only so many hours in one's day....

Popular posts from this blog

Good to be home

Always good to be home

Earthquake recovery