Plugging back in

Photo from 24 April 2004, that's nearly twenty years ago! Bolton Abbey in Yorkshire....

Spent a few days hanging out with the eldest daughter and family. Pondered a story idea that was brewing a few weeks back and has undergone several shifts. Mulled over a big trip on the horizon. Wondering how other large projects will sort themselves, then came home to a belated birthday gift of the 2017 season of The Great British Baking Show. We moved from the UK a couple of years before that program got underway, and watching it reminds me of those years, that lifestyle, learning to write, and how much I miss the English; one of the contestants said she needed to 'get herself sorted'. Oh yes, I know that feeling.

Staring out my office window, a large billowy gray cloud looms ominously, yet the lighter gray sky acts like pixie, noting the sun is just a few hours away. I read a LOT about pixies and fairies to my granddaughters this past weekend, three chapter books that my four-year old grandgirl was keenly attached to, making me smile for her attention span and her ability to note the foreshadowing. Her older sister is almost seven and reads like a champ, but prefers when Grandma tells the tale, lol. I have a GREAT appreciation for children's authors, no dreams here of moving in that direction. I have enough plots for adults brewing in my head.

And while my hope is to next write a family-ish saga, the current shiny is a sci-fi/contemporary love story blend that seems to be making a life of its own. I wasn't planning on taking it with me on our impending holiday, but those characters have their own agendas, suppose I should add their folder to my packing list. (Which means first off they need their own folder, hah!) Since writing That Which Can Be Remembered, I haven't had any new ideas, although that was FINE because what I want to write next has been under mental construction for the last DECADE, ahem. But still it felt a little strangling with nothing waiting past that behemoth (why is it I find it so hard to write a small story, huh?). Now another possible series, or certainly two books, fill my brain with dialogue, plot twists, whys and wherefores; stuff I NEED TO GET SORTED. Huh, well okay then....

(But first I require another cuppa as that big gray cloud has usurped the visual landscape. Such are the musings of a writer/abuela. There's always something going on....)

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart