Moment by moment

Baby coleus I started from seed and over which I am greatly pleased!


I'm watching the French Open final between Rafael Nadal and Caspar Ruud. A tennis fan since Boris Becker won his first Wimbledon, I have a fondness for Grand Slam events, especially when one of the finalists is newly thirty-six years old and coming back from injury. Nadal took initial set, has just broken Ruud's serve to bring this second set back to even. A long morning sits in front of me as I savor amazingly played points, typing here and there, muting commercials then peering back at the TV as history is made.

Yet within the enormity of worldwide sport, there is the intimacy of right now. It rained much of yesterday, but all my potted plants are in the ground along with five hills of various pumpkins. Three woeful spider plants and a pot of four nasturtiums got me outside before the storm hit, and I didn't even water them after getting them planted, aware the rain would take that task for me. Right now my garden is fully hydrated, weeds waiting for my attention, ha ha. But that chore is for later today; after tennis I have edits to sort, maybe a couple of chapters that I'll peruse in this last look of a novel I hope to release at the end of the month. Plans remains, I can't live without some element of structure. But life is fluid, best to be enjoyed in a manner that takes advantage of what is happening RIGHT NOW. The last few days I put a lot of plants in the ground, wanting them to soak up all the precipitation. With that accomplished, beside weeding, my garden is set for a while, other than deadheading petunias and harvesting copious peas my husband planted from seed back in February. The pea vines have usurped where he also planted strawberries, a lesson learned for next year. Again the present crashes into the future, but I need to stay right where I am, on this sofa as Nadal has gone up two games in the third set (he won the second). Not sure if I'll finish this post before the match is completed, but I am very happy for Nadal to be playing so well.

I'm also pleased both for the state of my garden and novel in progress. And I managed some machine quilting on a little comforter made a few months back that has been clumped on my work table along with loads of scraps from making masks and fabrics cut for hexie shirts. Meanwhile Nadal just won, taking the third set 6-0, having taken ten or twelve of the last games of the match. I'll watch the entire championship ceremony, then finish this entry, having a cup of tea in the middle of it all. 

Okay, wow, heartfelt statements by both players. Nadal has extended his Roland Garros dominance, will he play at Wimbledon later this month? How will my garden look by then, will my novel be ready to publish, lol. I could touch on current events, but I'll leave those alone. Right now my world consists of tangible aspects; the garden, writing fiction, sewing hexies, and the shot at the top of this post, some little coleus plants I started from seed MONTHS ago. Before we left on holiday I transplanted them into a shady place, but had no idea if they would survive. Three of the five are indeed still growing, and I am thrilled for their existence. We'd hoped to put several plants in this bed, but this year it belongs to these wee seedlings, and one succulent my husband didn't have the heart to put into the bin. Instead it rooted, one never knows how a cast-off might thrive. I have to remain patient, also committed, to all tasks where I am led. And right now a banana is calling my name. Snack time and blog posting go hand in hand, one moment at a time.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart