Wrapping up the prep process

After a rainy weekend, dahlias remind that despite the darkness, beauty awaits.

Amid the tragedy in Highland Park this week, I've been trying to maintain an even keel. Soon I'll release my next book; there is much to do between the final edits and watching as a tale goes live. Synopses are written, tags chosen, covers are sorted, so many elements that I should have a list, although I don't. Does that mean I wing it with every new release? Maybe. But for now I'll keep with my usual routine.

What is that routine? It's a combination of formatting the manuscript in Word, although this book was written in Open Office, so fingers crossed when I upload it as a Word Doc all turns out as it should. Covers are my most tricky element, but now that they are ready, all I have left is reading through a few chapters just to confirm that the story is.... It's done, it's been vetted, it's merely a day or so from going from my possession to whomever deems it worth their time. This is the intangible part of writing books, kind of like having children then watching them go from teens to adults. A parent nurtures as best they can, then steps away, hoping their offspring finds great joy and purpose in this crazy world.

It's difficult to separate the thrill of creative endeavors from the distress of current events. I want to enjoy this moment for all it is worth, a couple of years of hard work culminated in three books which espouse optimism, celebrate survival, honoring those lost in conflict. Meanwhile this nation is gripped by an indecipherable lust for violence; parents are left to grieve, children have been made orphans. I cannot fathom anyone's mindset who supports a teenager's right to purchase semi-automatic assault weapons. That is so far from my experience, despite growing up in a rural area where hunting was deeply ingrained as sport. The divergence of what gun ownership in America means seems unnavigable, yet the consequences are chilling.

And here I am, trying to make a difference with books; why is that? I can't offer more than I am a writer, hoping to entertain while giving pause for thought. This impending series focuses on those caught in the midst of a pandemic, having survived a long war. Their struggles are many, but they wish for peace, happiness, freedom. And of course love; while I don't claim to be a romance author, love always figures into my books. And love has to come first, love that seeks the betterment of others. Ultimately who we evolve into as human beings will be based upon our love for others. And I believe love will eventually triumph, despite that victory currently feeling very far away.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart