Setting aside the WIP

Rare are the times I begin writing a book, then close up the document, not proffering a satisfying conclusion. But last night after going to bed, I realized that I needed to take a break from A Rose Blissful, from National Novel Writing Month, from something that most times brings me great pleasure but over the last couple of weeks has felt like a.... Not a burden or a big fat drag, yet not an activity enticing or soul- soothing. Yes I'm disappointed, I don't like leaving things unfinished. But better to walk away now than kick myself later for not following my heart.

I honesty don't know what will happen to this story; a dear friend is reading the six chapters I have managed, and depending on her assessment, I will choose either to file it under unfinished manuscripts or.... I will give myself this break, then see what happens in December. I have two other novels requiring revising, one of which will be released next month and needs to be formatted.  Edits and formatting is about all my brain can handle right now, and recognizing that and not trying to push through a new idea is what Present Me calls being smart. Past Me might scoff, but I hope Future Me can somehow flick Past Me on the ear in a cool your jets honey kind of way.

I wanted NANOWRIMO to give me the kick in the butt I felt I needed to get a new novel underway. But for whatever reason, I don't feel as connected to it as in years past. Is it my age, the age of Discord, or just some random bunch of reasons that can't be property cataloged. Again I truly don't know, but it is what it is and sometimes this happens. Not often, but occasionally great ideas founder when put into practice. Like I said above, it's disappointing, but not the end of the world.

Yet, I didn't want to gloss over that sometimes writing fails. Sometimes all the character sketches and timelines and marvelous brainstorms fizzle out. 5K, 10K, or the 20K that I've accumulated gets shoved in a folder, saved on a flash drive, tucked away because files take little space and maybe one day.... Maybe I'll finish that book. And maybe one I might. But if I don't, that's okay too. For even the incomplete books have purpose; I wrote six chapters. A lot of dialogue. Some great sentences. A few clever jokes. All of this enhances my skills, even if I didn't get to The End.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart