Going to the beach

The windsurfer and an admirer; February 2023.

Still working on the novel; the beach has become a location within the story, definitely based on my recent visits to Mauren Beach in Humboldt County. A couple of entries ago I posted a shot of my bestie at the Pacific, today's shot another from this month, when a windsurfer held our attention for over half an hour. Within my novel, the beach is acting as an agent of change. I hadn't planned it that way, and after a testy chapter on Friday, I was back in the groove today, going in another unexpected direction. I'm not going to overthink it, just keep writing.

Years ago after completing a draft, I wandered around the shore at The Hook in Capitola. Driving over Highway 17 wasn't too daunting, more important was admiring the waves, listening to the ocean's roar, taking in the immense power of the water. In those days I rarely took off a day from the story, wholly involved with the act of writing. We live closer to the ocean now, sneaking off for a little taste of those days, but current temperatures are chilly, so we mostly sit in the car, keeping warm. Perhaps when I finish this book, I'll head to the beach, again celebrating as in days of old. When I'm done with this story, some whooping it up will be necessary.

2023 has started roughly, what with our brother-in-law's passing, other losses in my circle. I'd hoped to indulge in plenteous hand-stitching but my neck is still troublesome and English paper piecing has been reduced to almost nil. Yet machine sewing is picking up pace, a list of quilts-to-make currently in my head, maybe I'll add those projects to my actual list, hehehe. Just today I considered how best to use a collection taking space in my stash. And as for that novel....

I foresee more fictional trips to the beach. And a few factual visits. As soon as our cold snap ends, I'd love to traverse the sand, low tide would be best. I might use it as research, or just stock away precious moments where all that matters is nature's irresistible beauty. I love to write and quilt, but the ocean calls to my soul, reminding me of my place in this universe; just go about my crafty business one day at a time.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart