Backtracking

A colourful WIP that has grown in recent days.

Sometimes the best laid plans are scuppered by a spur-of-the-moment stream of writing that seems beneficial. Seems is the key word; sometimes when I crochet, I'll start the initial row with far too many stitches, but after completing an entire row, I end up pulling out all those stitches to make the blanket or scarf less lengthy. Just now I deleted about a chapter's worth of writing, less than I thought needed the ax, which was heartening. I don't lament the missing prose; at times the muse leads one on a wild goose chase just for the fun of it.

I could claim writing under the influence of over-the-counter pain meds and heaps of cough drops. My cold remains a force to contend with, although I napped this afternoon, which I never do. Throat is still sore, eyes are gunky, I'm a bit of a mess, like the writing. Not that the actual prose was cruddy, just traveling (or more rightly unraveling) in a direction I'd not foreseen. At the time of writing, I went with it because sometimes those tangents turn out for the best. This time, not so much. Again I'm grateful it was only a chapter's worth of the story, with a little cleaning up to do tomorrow. Better to excise it now than explore that errant tangent further, then find myself REALLY FRUSTRATED by where I had taken the characters and their story.

Meanwhile, I'm avoiding sewing, not wishing to get my probably germy mitts all over fabrics. I'm being scrupulous about washing my hands, but I don't want to fiddle around with prints until I am feeling BETTER. Instead I'm crocheting, a simpler task in many ways, which is about all I can handle right now. I don't know the last time I had such a debilitating cold, so I'm being kind to myself and not doing more than feels feasible. Thankfully the writing, even if it's dodgy, is something I can manage. Or I think I can. We'll see what happens tomorrow when I go back in time just a wee bit, then move forward a tad smarter. Or more informed. Or less ambiguous. Or something like that....

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart