A completion to note

Sweet Williams starting to bloom; they deserve a post of their own, lol.

So right before lunch I finished my latest novel. Feels SO GOOD to have that done, in that 1) The last few chapters were a bit balky. 2) Wrapping up a book lately has felt precarious. 3) I am ready for a writing siesta. 4) I'm equally stoked to start (re)working the next installment!

Liberation blends with satisfaction upon reflection, a big project DONE, but more await, which keeps me active. Yeah there's plenty of revisions ahead too, but a series can't start until the first part ends, so in closing one section, another springs to life. Am I shackled to the writing, perhaps. Yet it's a pleasant servitude, one that fills my entire being with a sense of purpose, interest, self-exploration. Why do I choose these characters, what do their motivations say about my view of the world, blah, blah, blah, lol. Yet those are relevant queries that now with a modicum of free time I can consider.

This past weekend with family was the break I needed, stepping away from the fictional, steeped in the familiar. Yesterday morning I sat right down with the novel, writing and rewriting the penultimate chapter. It was hard in that a big emotional scene occurred, and I wanted to give it all due gravity. A slight sorrow lingered the rest of the day, mitigated slightly in Miami's win over Milwaukee in the NBA playoffs, only because I find it fascinating how the #8 seed is up 3-1 over the #1 seed. (We shan't speak about the Lakers' victory, ahem....) This morning in reading over that chapter I made a few alterations, nothing major, merely what the eyes see anew after a good night's sleep. Then I dove into the final chapter, written in fits and starts as scenes ended and hunger demanded I eat breakfast. After a shower, back to the writing, then by half-eleven, my husband texted, asking when I wanted lunch. Just. Another. Ten. Or. Fifteen. Minutes. I messaged back, nearly done with the book!

And suddenly, there was The End. Oh hi there, newly finished story, a rough draft with good intentions. Such a thrill and so complementary to the sunny day, as though spring wrought the tale from my brain. Dude, it's like way hella cool man, LOL!

I'm a California girl by birth, hard to eliminate the lexicon. But this story is done and I'll allow a little dust to gather, then back onto the noveling horse I go.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart