Near finishes (and faraway endings)

Adding a striped border to this quilt, and happy with my choice.

Two quilts are about done, one long lounging on the back of the sofa, the other for a baby girl due in June that I busted out last week. All that remains is hand-sewing the back of the bindings, an evening activity while I listen to basketball games or Star Trek Voyager or whatever else my husband happens to find on TV. I might embellish the baby quilt with a little hand-quilting, but I won't know if that's necessary until after it has been through the wash. If it's crinkly enough, it's done.

The other quilt is autumnal in fabric nature, I don't even remember when I started it, obviously sometime last year. No wait, it only feels like last year because it has a fall-vibe. Wow, that's a little embarrassing. It had been on the quilt wall, or the first three rows of it, for a VERY LONG TIME, then just when I needed to clear the quilt wall to put something else there, I went for broke, slapped up the squares and voila, there's another quilt! But it has dwelled on the sofa for weeks, needing my attention to complete the hand-quilting. Which I put off when I was sick, also due to crocheting in the evenings. But now I'm procrastinating on completing a crocheted baby afghan, yet I finished the baby quilt, so maybe I'm even. If nothing else, mixing up the projects keeps me from boredom.

The fictional WIP is going well; I wrote a third of a chapter this morning, then my hubby asked if I wanted to go out for breakfast. I said HECK YEAH, and we were off, enjoying a sunny morning when cloud cover had been forecast. By the time we got home, I wasn't in the mood to complete the chapter, but that's okay; I've been writing pretty much every day and again mixing up the pastimes is good for my soul. Instead I wrangled the above mentioned quilts, then spent part of the afternoon WEEDING! Yes, I have begun that herculean and never ending task, clearing up where some Sweet William flowers are close to blooming, then tidying around three spider plants that for whatever reason never took off last year.

Hopefully these spiders will thrive this year!

While weeding the garden could be deemed a distant conclusion, my latest novel is what I'm hinting to at the end of today's title. I say that due to a chat I had with my beloved concerning a possible series in the making; I realized that when considering how I wrote The Hawk, knowing how the story wrapped up kept me going. Similarly I have an ending worthy of sustaining me however long this probable saga takes to write, although I truly *HOPE* it won't be the five years that The Hawk needed.

Yet the sense of a journey thrills me, one taken via prose, traversing time and space and hearts in love. Four novels are pretty firm in my mind, then we'll see where the characters lead. Thankfully quilts are faster to finish that books, even if one overtakes the sofa for ages. Mixing up the hobbies is vital, probably a good mantra to repeat. Now to just get the garden more onto the rota! 

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart