Eurovision, Mother's Day, and a near quilt top finish

One row from the quilt; I LOVE this elephant print!

A year ago during our trip to the UK, we watched for the first time the Eurovision Song Contest. We lived in Britain for nearly eleven years and not once during our stay did we indulge, but it just seemed like the right thing twelve months ago. Forward to this past weekend and we deeply enjoyed the first two hours of the final, although we didn't bother with the voting part of the show. I wrote down tunes I appreciated, will incorporate them into my music player. We laughed that at the time of living there we simply didn't appreciate what has been broadcast for several decades. But then, I still don't watch cricket or European football.

("Cha Cha Cha" was my fave production; WOW! Finland knows how to showcase a song, hehehe.)

Mother's Day was marvelous; we went to breakfast early, then headed to the beach for high tide. It was my hubby and me, our kids having visited a few weeks back. After the beach, I hung out at home, the weather a magical mix of sun and heat for Humboldt that felt nearly irregular for how spectacular it was. I did a little sewing, but it was too beautiful to stay inside. We ran some errands, picked up lunch, then ate on the back patio, soaking in the rays, then ducking under the table's umbrella when the heat became too warm. I did some hand stitching outside while my hubby planted watermelon and cantaloupe plants. I joined him, getting some yellow and pink petunias settled into containers. The rest of the afternoon was a pleasant mix of gardening and sun worshiping. Dinner was courtesy of our youngest daughter, then we spent the evening imbibing in European musical artists. Definitely a day filled with joy and relaxation.

Today wasn't as sunny, so after some revisions in the early morning, I spent the rest of the day sewing; only one row of a baby quilt remains to be pieced, then attached, then that project will be ready to be turned into a quilt sandwich. I didn't mind being outside for much of yesterday because a bright day can be quite rare, the cloudy ones more common. My hobbies suit Humboldt's climate, but I have no trouble mixing up the pastimes. Or slipping back into old faves when gray skies dominate.

Edits in my fictional WIP are coming along well. Life is currently in a nice groove, and yes some of my contentment is related to lengthening days and warm temperatures. Spring and summer here is directly related to a mild rise in the thermometer and a little uninterrupted sun. But I'm also happy with low cloud and fog. Adaptability is key to overall happiness, shuffling hobbies and at times attitudes according to the weather, a holiday, or special event. Twenty years ago Eurovision held no appeal. Now I' m reveling in those tunes, and I look forward to next year's broadcast from Sweden. In the meantime, fabric awaits cutting, as does my novel. Time to cha cha cha, ha ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart