Not my birthday but just as special

Beginning this post, I don't yet have a title. Maybe it will be untitled. It's a quarter after five a few days past the solstice. A thin band of clear sky sits over the eastern horizon while the marine layer attempts a coup.


One of my BFF's is visiting alongside our grandson. The days have been packed with card games, puzzles, conversations, and episodes of the Great British Baking Show from 2016. I know who wins, only because sometime last year I caught a show with the winner who I'd never seen but quickly learned was now a TV host in their own right due to having won the bake-off. That spoiler doesn't diminish my pleasure as gamey hot water crust pies and tennis cakes are presented; who else makes it to the finals is beyond my scope and I don't have to fret the actual outcome.

Yesterday my BFF and I went to Agate Beach just north of Trinidad. She's here to celebrate her birthday which is just as much of a treat for us as it is for her. We sat with a festive quilt beneath us, listening to waves pound the slightly rocky shore; she allowed me to prattle about my fictional WIP, which I need to thank her for today. I've spent my early mornings reading over the prose, making minor adjustments, thoroughly enjoying the beginnings of a saga that currently encompasses six solidly plotted installments, but I'm not prepared to guess how many parts in total will emerge. She asked me about that more than once, and I laughed heartily, truly uncertain how long it will take to reach The End.

Life is kind of similar, in that we have firm plans and sketchy ideas about the future, but who really knows what's gonna happen! God does, if one is inclined to place faith in a deity, otherwise we humans are on our own, flailing about at times or in grooves where things get accomplished. It's now five twenty-eight a.m. and small splashes of light flit along the sky, but the clouds remain in control. Brief hints of blue sky warmed our hearts at the beach yesterday, like icing on the most spectacular birthday cake any baker could produce. Despite knowing the outcome of the 2016 season, the camaraderie within the bake-off tent stirs slight tension within me because one of those amazing folks will suffer some failure, booting them from the competition, similar to the wonder of novels not yet plotted even if I grasp the saga's ultimate conclusion, as well as the rest of what life holds in store, lol.

On our way home, we stopped for treats, enjoying them in the car. I'd been sharing my Eurovision playlist, silly lyrics sung by me to answer my BFF. But I grew slightly serious, warbling one particular line that I'll paraphrase here as not to induce a copyright infringement lawsuit: Heart is the guide, love is the scope, I am the path. Here we go back home, followed by another line to end the tune. 

Snapped about half an hour after the one above, a bright-ish morning to start this awesome day!

Heart is the guide, love is the scope, but I'm not really the path, merely a conduit along an ethereal trans-warp hub that makes up this world, the cosmos, one little section of a day that marks many arrivals in vast manners. Books and quilts and beaches and bake-offs collide on this still slightly cloudy morning, but certainly brighter than previous starts. I hope my BFF has a marvelous day, I know I will!

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart