Autumn approaches

Autumnal fabrics shine in this Cornflower block completed recently.

I know it's not even the middle of August. In SO MANY PLACES it's hot as hades. Yet the angle of the sunshine has dipped, and despite being extremely pleasant here temperature-wise, the sense of summer's cessation lingers in the air. Perhaps it's due to when we lived in England, summer seemed to end as September began, which was when autumn started on the UK calendar. Blackberries are still getting ripe, marigolds planted late are blooming, bees are buzzing, and as I noted it is just mid-August. Still I'm feeling the altering season wrapping around me.

Our weekend guests left this morning, so I dived right into making a backing for the Halloween quilt top. Working on that project adds to the feeling of fall, not that I'm eager for cool weather, but rain would be nice. We had a bright morning, I actually witnessed the sunrise! That sun has moved to the south coming on 7 weeks since the solstice, which is a little more than a quarter into the latter half of the year, if one considers the year over at the winter solstice. Regardless, each of these days slips us further into 2023, and where has the darn time gone?

Recently I went through my fabric stash, what waits on a low bookshelf and of course the totes. Ah totes, several of them residing under my large work table, housing scraps as well as a few collections. Those totes aren't being emptied immediately, but now they are labeled, lol. Definitely an autumn kind of organizational activity.

I'll get back to my new novel this week, baste a Halloween quilt, then throw another onto the design wall. Fall-themed placemats require my attention, as do the blackberry vines; I'm hoping to start harvesting fruit that will be frozen for next year. And our washer is being repaired tomorrow! The part has arrived and fingers crossed in twenty-four hours I'll be busy folding clothes. Not that laundry has anything to do with autumn, but hopefully I won't need to make a trip to the laundromat, ha ha. Whatever your weather, enjoy your week!

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart