Floral Halloween quilt

I literally finished this about twenty minutes ago. Well, forty minutes ago, but I took a celebratory ice cream bar break before pressing the final seams. Then I pressed, then hauled it downstairs to the laundry line. Snap snap, then slapped it back on the design wall. And now I'm writing this post because 1) The quilt is done (for now) and 2) I wanted to talk about simple quilt designs.

I love admiring elaborate quilts. Curvy quilts. Angular quilts. Modern quilts. There are few designs I frown upon, and maybe it's not even the pattern but the fabric that makes me feel meh. I've made a few quilts that are slightly challenging, not including the English paper pieced quilts; those are a category unto themselves. But I'm drawn to basic patchwork squares for a couple of reasons; they are EASY, 'nuff said. The other reason is I make A LOT of quilts, or it feels like I do, and fancy quilts take extra time in cutting fabrics, etc, etc, etc. My patchwork quilts usually run at four and a half inch cut squares, some eight and a half inch squares thrown in for variety, as in the quilt top above. Nice to rummage through my stash of pre-cut squares when I need additional fabric, like I did for this quilt, why it has so many flowers in it, hah! After all these years I am always short-changing myself when I cut fabric, forgetting just how many squares it takes to get to the center of a quilt lollipop (lol).

I've signed up for an angles class, because triangles scare the crap outta me, all those points that if they don't line up or look sharp then the essence is lost. Squares are far more forgiving, nesting seams one against another and for the most part even awkward corners don't show. I was so pleased with this quilt, in that the corners are fairly spot-on, such a win! But even when they aren't so plentifully correct, the result is still pretty, and I have yet to hear back from anyone, "Hey, these corners look kinda ragged."

I sew wholly for the pleasure of the make. Of using my hands to fashion a treasure warm and wonderful. To share colour and joy with those I love. I don't enter fairs or competitions. I like learning from my mistakes, moving forward on my sewing journey to wherever I feel led. And ultimately I end up back at four and a half inch squares or something akin. I made a new comforter for our bed of four and a half inch tall fat quarter cuts, and I think I like it, ha ha. Well, I've made the top, need to finish that baby before winter hits. I'm itching to make the Framed Flowers quilt by Kaffe Fassett, although I might scale it back a little, it's a big quilt. And then there are five angular patterns that come with the class, and I'd love to dip my toes into one of those after I feel capable. But friends of ours are expecting a first baby next year, along with one in our family also in the family way. Unless I happen to immediately master flying geese, those quilts will be simple patchwork squares, with some EPP appliqued onesies on the side.

A multitude of patterns and fabrics, but only so many hours in the day; as long as I'm happy with what I'm crafting, it's all good. Now if I could just stop experimenting with new EPP blocks, maybe I'd finish that Cornflower quilt. More about that soon!

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart