Making the most of a mostly cloudy day

It's been a wet start to the rainy season here, for which we are definitely grateful! Already over an inch and a half of precipitation has fallen, although the rest of the state remains pretty dry. Hopefully that will alter soon, in that what drifts over the top left corner of California will eventfully become the norm, however rainfall in this part of the country remains an unpredictably tricky beast even for the best forecasters.

However, when clouds give you fog and rain, best to keep busy with indoor activities, for which I am well-versed. The novel is progressing nicely; I'll work on Chapter Five when this post is complete. And speaking of completions, maybe by the end of this day I'll have another quilt top ready, lol. Pictured above is how it looked when I started yesterday afternoon, four rows still to stitch, as well as sewing the whole thing together. Currently it's waiting on my big table with a two-inch strip of Kona Magenta pinned to one side; I'm in the process of adding a border because it needs a little more breadth, height too, and sometimes a border is very good at keeping the fabrics from running away. Lol. I rarely use borders, in that by the time I finish stitching all those squares into one collective bunch, I am feeling rather DONE with the whole process. Yet borders are pretty, especially purple ones, hehehe. If not today, then certainly tomorrow this project will be ready for the next phase.

Yet tomorrow the weather is supposed to be very pleasant! I have heaps to do in the garden, so my afternoons will be dedicated to pulling weeds and trimming blackberry vines. This time of year requires judicious consideration on what to do when; when it's gray outside I will happily hunker down in the house. When it's sunny, I am obligated to be soaking up the rays. Obligated is a little harsh; I want to be out when it's gorgeous, but wow I love to sew, or cut fabrics for EPP, or hand-stitch basted shapes, or make notes for the next novel.... I am indeed extremely blessed to have the luxury of abundant leisure time, and I VERY MUCH DISLIKE wasting said leisure moments. Hate is a terrible word, so I won't use it, but hopefully dear reader, you get my drift.

Like right now, it's, well, early in the morning. I don't quite have the wherewithal to write Chapter Five, but a blog post doesn't require that level of concentration. I was thinking about this post yesterday as I sat in front of my machine watching the fog lift, then return, then finally around three p.m. the clouds thinned out so the sun could shine. That beautiful sunshine tempted me to head outside, yet I remained at the machine, absorbing it mentally while fashioning a long seam connecting two sections of the quilt top. I mused how yes, very soon even the sunny days will be chilly, but earlier that fog had been so thick, the perfect time to sew. Fortunately my computer faces a wall, haha, so rarely do I have such distractions when I write.

Maybe all this pondering on time's usage comes down to unconsciously (but certainly somewhat consciously) realizing I'm not getting any younger. Twenty years ago I never thought about it, or I rarely gave it any due acknowledgement. Not that I fret over it now, but.... The truth is that despite being in pretty darn good health I am three years away from sixty. Jeez, that's a little stark. Fifty-seven sounds better, or am I just being silly? I do have to parse out the gardening, why being aware of the forecast matters until those irises aren't choked with weeds and blackberry vines reaching the ground are tidied appropriately. I could have pushed myself to attach those marvelous magenta strips to the quilt yesterday, but no longer do I have the, the, the.... Internal energy or mental brazenness or physical wow-factor to run myself into the ground. Nope, not going there anymore. Future Me nods and claps her hands while Past Me snorts and frowns, but hey there honey, check yourself before I'm wrecked past saving. I'll make the most of every day to the best of my current dang ability, thank you very much!

Meanwhile back on this day, it's time to finish the cuppa, wrap up this blah blah blah, have a look at chapter four, then see what happens next!

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart