Home again

The photo above was snapped as my hubby and I entered the San Francisco Bay Area, such a lovely weekend spent with family, celebrating Christmas. Suddenly all that hustle and bustle is over; we're back in Humboldt County, where rain fell this morning, high winds experienced, but no loss of power. I've spent today doing laundry, catching up on Christmas cards delivered in our absence, also sewing together a quilt back. Small steps in returning myself to the routine and maybe tomorrow I'll incorporate some editing, woo hoo!

The end of the year is nigh, hard to believe 2023 is nearly done. I filled in a second paper calendar this afternoon, which will hang in my office. In reading over letters enclosed in holiday cards, I caught up with several families, lives busy with various activities. Now back at home, I inhale the familiar and embrace tasks basically forgotten while I was away. Granddaughters have a way of doing that, hehehe. I read many books, played board games, did art projects, baking special treats, taking walks.... It was a welcome break from what I usually do and my husband said the same, stirring up the monotony of our typical habits.

Not that I am weary of writing or sewing, merely appreciative of shaking up the status quo. Perhaps the end of the year brings a need for change, days dark and brief aching to lengthen and brighten. I have a couple of quilts on tap for immediate attention, which first means fabrics to cut, lol. Books also fill my head, manuscripts to read through and revise as well as an idea requiring much consideration before I start writing again.

Yet for as much as I love the things I do (and do the things I love), time for reflection is so necessary. Time with beloveds, away from all that is familiar. Yeah I ate a lot of gluten and lactose, but my shoulder felt better and I slept pretty well. I read a memoir and some poetry amid all the children's literature, always good for expanding my breadth as a reader, which enhances my writing. I don't know what 2024 will bring, but I'm ready for it!

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart