A day filled with unexpected thrills


Snapped last night before I realized what was missing! (A basted square halfway attached, but others remain elsewhere...)

I know I'm not feeling good when I'm too weary for editing. A debilitating head cold has finally drawn its line in the sand. Dude, don't play games with me. I might feel crappy, but seriously? Especially on a really SOGGY day here in Humboldt, a king tide making the ground squishier than usual. Whatever the elements, nature and viral, here I am limping along like a forgotten sock soaked in the rain.

And.... I can't find five basted squares for my Cornflower quilt! I had the sewn rows and their accompanying stacks of squares laid out on the guest bed and after completing a row last night, I placed it with the other two, then gathered the next row and squares and.... What the heck? I don't know what I did with them, but my husband checked around and he didn't see them either. Basted paper pieces just don't walk away on their own, ahem, but that seems to be the case, unless I did something really stupid with them which at the time I thought was brilliant. Insert face palm emoji HERE.

Sometimes this is the way of things. The Meh way. The way that makes me close up the manuscript, make a few cups of tea, then hightail it back to the office to write this blog because at this moment I don't have the mental wherewithal to work on writing stuff or the emotional bandwidth to hunt for the missing basted squares. LOL! That leaves you, dear readers, with the dregs of Present Me.

Present Me would much prefer to be reading through Book 2 of my series. Or stitching together row #4 of my quilt. I did throw a load of wash into the laundry, so I'm accomplishing something, but that's pretty low on the What I'd like to be doing right now totem pole. Again, occasionally this is how life occurs, grinding to a nearly complete HALT of all the fun, exciting, necessary things we would prefer to be engaged with.... Um, well, let me back that up a few because I do like writing blog posts so this morning isn't totally a wash. And if taken in a MUCH LARGER CONTEXT than me, myself, and I, this rainy day in my neck of the woods is fine. War isn't raging around me, truly vicious weather isn't pounding at my home or breaking it into pieces. When considered alongside the wider world view, I'm fine. Sick and missing five basted squares, but just fine.

Perhaps being cognizant of that is enough to turn this meh day into something over which to be celebrated. Within the safety of my dry, unsullied home I can write this post, then maybe later search for those missing paper pieces. I *might* even open an old manuscript, poking around within its solid narrative for any errant commas or hidden misspellings. There will be Christmas placemats to put in the dryer (which actually just occurred!), lunch to microwave, Christmas placemats to put away after they're dry.... A day filled with unexpected thrills is how I could rename this post. Maybe I'll do that right now.

Okay, so if you've gotten this far, the original title was A Meh kinda day. But you know what? Meh is in the gut of the beholder. I still feel crappy, but the bandwidth for joy has increased! Not that I'm going to restart the hunt for missing paper pieces or return to Book 2, but some therapeutic blah blah blah here has enhanced my appreciation for the little things. Wishing you a similarly happy day, insert smiley face HERE.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart