A quilt for recovery and other assorted bits

 

Bright and busy! A mostly AMH quilt ready to assist in recovery.

At the end of last year I started a quilt top to send to a dear friend who would be having knee replacement surgery soon. Where have the last four weeks gone? That surgery has taken place, the quilt in her possession, and here it is, the twenty-second of January!

I enjoyed sewing up that lap quilt, large rectangles that came together easily from Anna Maria Horner's Fluent collection, with a few extras added from my stash. It was machine quilted, as I wanted to send it quickly. I spent much of yesterday afternoon at my machine, quilting another project, but I'll add some hand-quilting to that as soon as I finish attaching the binding, also by hand.

Also by hand are more stars! This batch consists of kites around a hexie, which I found in need of basting in my Flock of Stars tote. I kind of thought I'd concentrate on the stars, once I had the Cornflower Quilt completed, but those FIVE MISSING SQUARES (ahem) are still missing. Sad Face. Instead I'm faffing around in the evenings with The Hawk as well as hand-stitching a little star here, a little star there, some Lavender blocks thrown in for good measure. Nice and easy, nice and all over the place to be honest. But seeing my sewing is about pleasing myself, as long as I don't LOSE ANY MORE BASTED PIECES all's good.

Last night's fun; Kaffe Fassett jelly rolls are the inspiration for these stars in the making.

Sewing these stars has truly been a pleasure, in that they come together so quickly, lol. That I need over ninety of them isn't an issue; I just rummaged through some scrap totes, collecting more fabrics to cut at some point. I tend to spend an hour or so making upwards of a dozen stars in the choosing prints manner, then putting them in plastic bags, leaving them in the corresponding tote. Those pictured above were what I found waiting from a previous put-together session, buried under fabrics awaiting perusal. The five missing squares were NOT among those prints.

(Not to belabor those missing squares, but what irks me most about their absence is that invariably they will turn up AFTER I baste five more squares and sew them into place. Then what will I do with five basted four-inch squares? I do not know....)

Anyway.... It's not raining today, I took a walk after lunch. Now I'm writing this post, then I will.... Sew some stars! Stitch basted squares that have not gone missing. Maybe fix a decaf coffee. Perhaps edit The Hawk. It's a new week, the last full one of January. That's a little wild to consider, 2024 just muscling its way to being February. In February I'll concentrate on releasing a novel, maybe even two, hehehe. And hopefully those missing squares will have turned up by then. If not, I'll baste five more, then immediately sew them in place!

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Following one's heart