Every other day

 

I wash my dishes. We don't have a dishwasher, although we're planning a kitchen remodel, and at this point it is looking to be a 2025 project. Which is fine, because if I'm happy manually washing mugs, silverware, etc, I'm doing pretty well.

Revisions have been my morning focus, as I wash dishes in the afternoon. Every other day I work on Enran Book #2, mixing it up with an older novel that I might or might not publish. I didn't plan to alternate the edits, but in the last several days, that's how it's been going. It's refreshing, both in the switching round and the spontaneous nature of how that evolved. I'm chalking it up to the twenty-nine times two theory, not stressing out about it.

But if I wanted to analyze it, just a little bit.... LOL, that's what this blog is kinda about, looking at my life, from writing to kitchen maintenance, through an altered lens. Or a lens rarely considered while I'm poking at prose or scrubbing teacups. Or coffee mugs, I really don't use my teacups much, preferring a larger serving of some warmish-hot decaffeinated beverage. Kind of how my writing has developed from standalone novels to series stretching from three books to, well, several. The story I'm revising, every other day, could be all by its lonesome, although when I first wrote it, I considered a sequel, haha. But the odds of that being written are pretty low; first I'd need to publish the initial tale now wouldn't I?

Sometimes I wash dishes a couple of days in a row, if there seems to be a plethora of plates or an inordinate amount of large baking sheets or if my husband grilled. But with just two of us in residence, we can squeak by with me filling the sink every other day. I definitely have a system, I'm sort of OCD that way; mugs and plastic cups first, then I wash utensils while those drip in the drainer. Then I dry everything in the drainer, then put the silverware in the basket at the back of the drainer, not having wanted it to drip all over the mugs, etc, drying off in the drainer.... Yes, I am more than a little obsessed with the routine, but routines, I have found just recently, can be altered with little to no abject fallout.

Twenty-nine times two is teaching me to step outside my previous boundaries. To embrace new methods. To.... Edit a couple of books at nearly the same time, not caring if one will have a life outside my computer. Huh. That's pretty fascinating. I'm also realizing, or maybe relearning, to enjoy pastimes merely for the thrill of how much I love them, which might one day lead to a sequel for a novel that might never be published, just because I adore the characters or yearn to finish their tales. Maybe that will happen after I have a dishwasher, which would theoretically allow me more time to spend on hobbies.

Huh. Now that is certainly a dream for Future Me to grasp.

Popular posts from this blog

Fits, starts, and restarts

Stuck in a lull

Following one's heart