Good to be home

This Mandolin block was waiting for me last night; I added four perimeter diamonds and it was finished! Subsequent pics are all EPP made during our holiday.

Despite a head cold that emerged late Monday/early Tuesday, our holiday was marvelous! I add this disclaimer because right now I feel pretty crappy, so if this post rambles, it's due to my current state of health.

Ice Cream Soda block

My goodness, there is a lot I want to say, perhaps the best way to get back into the blogging swing is to eke out bits here and there. The Gee's Bend Quilts Collection was AMAZING! Thirteen quilts were on display at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, beautiful comforters I never thought I might see in person. All were hand-quilted, most were completely hand-stitched. Designs, colors, and purpose made me grateful for my minor contributions to the quilting world, as well as causing me to wonder at future projects and ponder my fabric stash. Much food for thought at that deeply touching exhibit, which will inspire and guide the rest of my life. The display lasts until July 7th.

Myrtle block that needs the perimeter diamonds and triangles.

Traveling provides immersive experiences, like admiring those breathtaking quilts or visiting a church built in the late 1600s which still proffers services. The Old Swedes Church in Wilmington, Delaware, is rich in history, authentic to period detail, and acted as a linchpin for my husband and I to place our faith within the context of a vacation to a part of America we had never seen, a part of America where history predates so much of what we know on the West Coast. We also visited the nearby Kalmar Nyckel ship, a full-size replica of the original Swedish colonial ship, just a short ways from the church. Fascinating bits of America's history!

The beginnings of another Myrtle block.

Of course there was plentiful time spent with our lovely hosts, who we have known for over twenty years. So marvelous to strengthen ties with dear friends, relaxing in their new home, then visit their youngest daughter, who is the same age as our youngest! Her family includes a toddler, truly a delight to meet the next generation.

A star requiring perimeter diamonds.

Our flight from Philly to San Francisco was a bumpy one, not sure the reason for the turbulence, which we had also experienced on the way east, but that leg of the journey was due to poor weather across the country. We spent a day with our eldest's family, always good to see the grandgirls! Then yesterday we left for home, stopping in San Rafael for breakfast at Lundy's, a charming spot downtown. By then my cold was emerging, so my husband did most of the driving. When we reached home, the sun was shining, strong winds blowing, three inches of rain in the gauge! Hauling inside all the luggage, treasures, and bags of laundry, the comfort of being in our own space was accentuated by all the joys we had recently acquired. As well as the slightly irritating sense that traveling isn't as easy as it used to be, but que sera sera. I had a wonderful collection of days, memories swirling through my mind, requiring some/much contemplation. Not sure how that will unwind here, but certainly there is plenty for me to ponder.

One more Ice Cream Soda block; our evenings were a pleasant mix of stitching, chatting, and viewing sport, with some sewing in the mornings for my own joy.

Next up however is a cuppa and some cold relief meds! But let me say, it's so good to be home.

Popular posts from this blog

Orphan blocks are not like unfinished novels

Fits, starts, and restarts

Following one's heart