Loads of playing around

 

House rules call for Free Parking to be more than a quiet resting place.

Last week I visited my youngest daughter's family, helping out while her hubby was away on business. The weather in the Sacramento Valley was HOT for the first three days, and while later on we went to a park, splash pad, and pool, for the first few days we stayed inside and indulged in a different kind of entertainment: card and board games!

Fortunately my grandsons love games, especially the eldest. Crazy 8's and Go Fish have been staples of his childhood, and his younger brother got in the act, learning the basics of Go Fish and how to deal, hehehe. Board game-wise we enjoyed Junior Scrabble, Life, Carcassonne Junior, Yahtzee, Battleship, and finally managed to squeeze in a game of Monopoly, National Parks version, pictured above. My youngest grandson wasn't a participant of all those games, but many, and I was so pleased he's taking an interest in card games. A deck of cards will never run out of batteries, lol!

A friend of mine came to visit and taught us how to play Kings in the Corners, a Solitaire-type of card game, which quickly became a family favourite. I played one round of War with my eldest grandson, which he won, haha, but like Monopoly, War can stretch out for maybe longer than necessary. As I kid, board games figured heavily for pastimes, card games too, so it was great to reinforce those elements when stuck in the house while the temperatures soared outside. 

I'll be heading to the Midwest soon to spend time with family, the granddaughters along for that adventure. I left behind the pack of cards with the boys, so another will be tucked into my hexie box, just because you never know. Now it's time to settle back into my routine, savoring memories that hopefully will be rekindled soon!

Popular posts from this blog

Good to be home

Always good to be home

Earthquake recovery