Necessity is the mother of....

 

Thanks to my better half for photo op assistance.

Getting something accomplished. Invention too, but in this instance, four rows of my Lavender quilt are now stitched together, mostly for the large triangles I needed for another project.

LOL! This quilt has been around for at least three years, maybe four. It dwells in a tote in the living room, patiently waiting its turn in the queue. For the last few months I've pulled out that plastic box, rummaged through blocks made up of four-inch triangles and two-inch half hexagons, realizing I had nearly enough blocks gathered to start the putting-together process. Yet the Cornflower quilt edged out Lavender, other shinies always relegating this beauty back to its spot near the sofa.

Well, until I decided I needed YET ANOTHER PRETTY, which requires lots of four-inch triangles. Hence Lavender stepping onto the sewing stage, and now about a third of it is completed, assuming I make this quilt a dozen rows in length.

Lately this is how my creative life has emerged, in a scattered but lovely manner, unplanned yet cohesive. I wholly enjoyed designing which blocks went where, at first adding the proper half-blocks to the ends of row one, using whole blocks for row two, then reverting back to half blocks for rows three and four. And now that I have plenty of large triangles and half-hexagons popped from their previous sleeves, I can cut in half those shapes so I can make more half-blocks for the ends of further rows. Yay!

An impending holiday will intrude on Lavender's immediate progress, yet when I come home, more stitching on this quilt could very well occur. There's no bending of papers in attaching rows to one another, merely straight forward stitching that requires just a little niggling to make the corners meet. This quilt isn't slated to be gifted soon, but maybe that will alter. Perhaps this year heaped in slow stitching is meant to wrap up projects itching for their moment in the proverbial sun. I'm not going to question it, only enjoy the process and the emerging beauty. And wonder if when I'm done, will Lavender end up like Cornflower, quilts I hope to stitch again if time permits.

Future Me isn't saying, but I know that gleam in her eyes. Hehehe, she seems to giggle, as pretty fabrics call my name.

Popular posts from this blog

Good to be home

Always good to be home

Earthquake recovery