Sunflower quilt

 

Back of the quilt.

Well, I guess I am going to post about this comforter, or at least include a healthy amount of pictures, especially of the back, which I LOVE!

The front is nice too, lol. And having washed it twice, it's not as stiff as previously, although it needs plenteous cuddles (and more laundering) to really become the snuggly quilt I hear it screaming to be.

Binding is scrappy, what I forgot to mention in this post. I REALLY LOVE the vibrancy of the fabrics, front and back.

Screaming might be a little farfetched; it is certainly hollering, what with two layers of batting, which I did because batting is so thin these days. To my joy, and relief, this quilt doesn't feel too heavy. It's a nice weight, the right size for one person, or a grandma and a nieto or nieta. It's definitely long enough for me to drape over myself from chest to feet, complete coverage of shoes. That matters, as I'm a little over five foot seven inches tall, and am not keen on lap quilts that barely cover my lap.

As for the back.... The top is a big hunk of Lorenzo in blue designed by Odile Bailloeul for Free Spirit Fabrics from the Murano collection. I purchased that print in red and green as well, but having used the blue for what I needed, decided to employ the remainder as a quilt back fabric. Along those same lines is the bottom blue, Chicago, by Anna Maria, and the middle is another AM print, Hindsight. Interestingly, the Anna Maria fabrics, also made by Free Spirit, felt less stiff than the the other. But then I find Kaffe Fassett's fabrics even lighter than Anna Maria's, and all are from the same fabric company.

Blue is my fave colour, just wanted to denote that. Pink is too.

But that's a bit of digression, hehehe. The sloths along the side are an Art Gallery print I used on one of my grandson's quilts, separated from the rest by a black binding strip that I'm not keen on using as it's a thick fabric, so better to add it to a quilt back. I feel good using my stash, as I have a lot of fabric, ahem, and I don't want to horde more than treasured prints. The Hindsight piece has been in my possession a few years, like five maybe? Time to get it out and admired, even if on the back of a quilt, than stuck in a closet on a shelf.

This hobby means a great deal to me, yet I only need so many yards of fabric, LOL. Many totes of projects and scraps live under my work table, is that right? How many projects do I need to have on tap at once? I'm to the age where I do wonder, "How many more EPP quilts can I make in my lifetime?" Which might sound morbid or navel-gazing, but hand-sewn quilts take TIME. And I'm in my late fifties, so....

The sloths are AWESOME! I find Art Gallery fabrics feel cool to the touch, but a slice of them here is find.

So it's best to use pretty fabrics and not hide them away. It's best to make snuggly quilts and gift them or keep them if necessary. It's best to buy prints I like, but once I have employed them appropriately, don't sit on them wondering if I'll want them again. Because there are ALWAYS fabrics being designed and produced. I can't buy more fabric (or I really SHOULDN'T procure more) until I've knocked back some of the collections I already possess. Funny I don't feel that way about writing novels, HAH! Although I do feel that way about conjuring storylines, hmmm.

But space in my brain isn't measured the same way as hording fabrics. Or at least not today....

Popular posts from this blog

Good to be home

Always good to be home

Earthquake recovery