So many commas....
![]() |
| Left corner of the Mandolin quilt attached! No commas required. |
Oh my goodness, I'm removing HEAPS of commas! Heaps. But it is my way, when writing, to slap a comma here, and here, and here. Not that the and's drip everywhere, but commas, oh my goodness....
And ellipses too, LOL. Lots of those, some of which I have removed. Yet those commas, why do I do this to myself?
I think, and I'll leave that comma, it's because as I write I insert internal pauses, both in the prose AND the dialogue. Is that necessary, I'm not sure, but I do it and....
And WHOOPS, there's another comma. Hmmm, gotta have a think on this.
Anyway, revisions on Deadfern continue. The Deadfern Miracles, Miracles ala Deadfern. Why Deadfern? I don't know. When I plotted this novel, well, there wasn't a lot of plotting. I've pantsed stories before, but not like this one. This one is unique in many ways, not for all the commas certainly, but in how it meandered through my brain to my hands, commas included, then into the document like it was already there and all I had to do was brush away the dust. It did take longer than most of my first drafts, but we had visitors and I don't write when guests are here. Then I came back to it and needed to read it over to see where the dust trails remained. I did that more than any other novel I've created, other than The Hawk maybe; that was a LENGTHY process and reminders were necessary. But this story, my goodness. Commas aside, it's its own animal.
So few notes scribbled, and those I did make within the document are gone. Who needs them once I addressed the queries or reminders? It was like I knew Kim and Sailor, Lora, Shauna, and Rickey, Jamey and Trevor in another life, another heartspace. In another heart-realm they exist and I merely was the blessed recipient to tell their tales. To speak of miracles, and don't forget to add a comma or three.
So yeah, commas and novels that emerge from some unusual spatial sliver of time that was meant for NOW. For 2026. For whatever it's destined to become. Minus some commas. Many commas. Lol.
Have a lovely rest of Friday and a fine weekend. And if you trip over a pile of commas, I do apologize.
